Zalandrus

by Zalandrus

Back to Combat Logs.

Zalandrus2009-05-18 03:35:27
I need advice on fighting. Feel free to tear my logs apart and point out all the blisteringly clear mistakes I made; I probably would have no idea unless you tell me.

I just went back to AG, so still trying to get comfortable with it. But it seemed like it was working in these two spars with Yukio...

http://nogfx.org/logs/668
http://nogfx.org/logs/669

You'll note that in both of them, there came a time when I was "too focused" on the current kata to change, but also not firing them off...I think it might be stun, but can anybody (dis)confirm? In the first spar, I basically got nothing in; it was a sad display of my curing not keeping up with Yukio's hitting. In the second, I got a pretty good patch in, but couldn't get it back up when Yukio came back.

Also, if anybody has any suggestions on easy ways to clean up logs, let me know!
Shiri2009-05-18 03:46:03
That's something that keeps being unbugged and rebugged, you'll just have to deal with it until they nerf us in the monk report and hopefully fix it properly after that.
Unknown2009-05-18 03:52:55
Looks like your damage output isn't very high, if you're going for a damage kill. Yukio can probably confirm this.

Also, learn to polevault.
Ronny2009-05-18 03:56:18
Second spar. You had him with severed spine, chestpain, then hit hemiplegy left and right and got mo5. He only applied regen to chest after the hemiplegy and you didn't finish off with heartburst. Instead, you repeated your severed spine, chestpain combo.
Zalandrus2009-05-18 03:58:18
That's vaguely annoying. But there shouldn't be any instances of kata chains just freezing and doing nothing, right? (In other words, no time we ought to be forced to terminate, if there weren't any bugs)

Also, is increasing damage output just a matter of targetting other parts of the body? For comparison, the mom 5 form I had was modded with raktiah'sho, swiftstrike, speed, tahtai, and smash. The precursor mom 4 to that has 2x bomir'rak, a starkick, then speed, swiftstrike, tahtai, hard, smash.
Zalandrus2009-05-18 03:59:18
Yea, I wasn't going for the instakill. Trying to learn to fight without it, as I know there are other fine ways of killing as a monk.
Ronny2009-05-18 04:01:19
QUOTE (Zalandrus Meyedsun @ May 18 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's vaguely annoying. But there shouldn't be any instances of kata chains just freezing and doing nothing, right? (In other words, no time we ought to be forced to terminate, if there weren't any bugs)

Also, is increasing damage output just a matter of targetting other parts of the body? For comparison, the mom 5 form I had was modded with raktiah'sho, swiftstrike, speed, tahtai, and smash. The precursor mom 4 to that has 2x bomir'rak, a starkick, then speed, swiftstrike, tahtai, hard, smash.

The answer to that is to not chain katas. Send them one at a time when you regain balance, aren't prone, can attack, whatever.
Unknown2009-05-18 04:02:15
Yes, autokata is "buggy" right now as in it works unexpectedly from our past experience. I don't know if it's intended or not, only time will tell. It has been bugged before.

Melville is semi-right, you could've gone for an instant kill setup. Too bad you didn't hit with gahtiah'sho so you couldn't use gahtirak'sho.

You can play around with boosting your form with raktiah'sho and gahtiah'sho, follow-up with double bomir'rak then go for the gahtirak'sho strike.

And damage output is apparently scaled to wounding, so hitting the same body part over and over helps.
Zalandrus2009-05-18 04:06:53
Not to chain katas...hm...a) I'm not sure my reflexes are going to be much better, and cool.gif isn't there a speed advantage to chaining them? (Or maybe it was a thing of the past)
Unknown2009-05-18 04:09:14
QUOTE (Zalandrus Meyedsun @ May 18 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to chain katas...hm...a) I'm not sure my reflexes are going to be much better, and cool.gif isn't there a speed advantage to chaining them? (Or maybe it was a thing of the past)

The speed advantage isn't worth it with the way autokata in PK is set up. Aeon, choke, paralysis, entangle, etc will screw you up in an autokata now and you'll have to terminate and restart.

Not worth it, since that's what everbody will intelligently do to hinder a monk.

AG has a loadit function to help with checking if you are able to attack, so play around with that feature.

EDIT: Also, if someone leaves the room, your autokata will keep firing and you'll keep losing balance/power/momentum when you miss your target.
Ronny2009-05-18 12:39:49
Correction to my earlier post. The chest affliction wasn't chestpain. I just thought it was. Don't know why you made it afflict with asthma over chestpain though.
Shaddus2009-05-18 12:46:57
QUOTE (Zalandrus Meyedsun @ May 17 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea, I wasn't going for the instakill. Trying to learn to fight without it, as I know there are other fine ways of killing as a monk.

Ok. This irks me.

First off, kill when you can kill. It's not "more honourable" to kill someone with damage. It's not "less honourable" to make someone's heart explode". Just kill them.
Nienla2009-05-18 13:13:30
I agree. People call me out for using Choke. However, it's one of my abilities. Hindering yourself for the sake of appearing "honourable" by another individual's standards is silly. All that should matter to you is at the end of the day, you see: "You have slain %1"
Shaddus2009-05-18 13:17:40
QUOTE (Nienla @ May 18 2009, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. People call me out for using Choke. However, it's one of my abilities. Hindering yourself for the sake of appearing "honourable" by another individual's standards is silly. All that should matter to you is at the end of the day, you see: "You have slain %1"

Seriously.

I mean, that's like saying, "Hey! I'm a Geomancer, but I won't use my demesne because I'm more honourable than that. I'll just staff you to death."
Malicia2009-05-18 13:18:05
QUOTE (Nienla @ May 18 2009, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it has anything to do with you, but choke in general. It's been complained about for far longer than you've been playing. Something about retard-like ability with passives.
Ronny2009-05-18 13:18:30
QUOTE (Nienla @ May 18 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The people that call you out for using choke do so because they spam themselves silly or stare at the screen in shock as you regain equilibrium and continue whooping them. Tell me if I'm wrong!
Shaddus2009-05-18 13:20:17
QUOTE (Ronny @ May 18 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The people that call you out for using choke do so because they spam themselves silly or stare at the screen in shock as you regain equilibrium and continue whooping them. Tell me if I'm wrong!

Pretty much.

I think Choke/Aeon could be somewhat manageble, if the admin would make it to where some things aren'nt choked/aeoned. Clotting, outr/inr, a few other things.
Esano2009-05-18 13:22:36
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ May 18 2009, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously.

I mean, that's like saying, "Hey! I'm a Geomancer, but I won't use my demesne because I'm more honourable than that. I'll just staff you to death."

In Ceren's case, he doesn't always use his demesne because it's quicker on half of Lusternia to just staff them to death.
Unknown2009-05-18 13:27:19
QUOTE (Ronny @ May 18 2009, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correction to my earlier post. The chest affliction wasn't chestpain. I just thought it was. Don't know why you made it afflict with asthma over chestpain though.

He just didn't add gahtiah'sho with raktiah'sho (which was for severed spine), which you can pull both off if you boost it. You don't have enough ka if you don't boost your form if you're using raktiah'sho and gahtiah'sho (800 ka for both) assuming you still want to tahto/tahto/kick (250). I guess you can pull it off if you remove the kick.

Raktiah'sho gives asthma automatically if you hit the chest, so it wasn't so much a choice as the lack of using gahtiah'sho.
Unknown2009-05-18 13:48:47
QUOTE (Nienla @ May 18 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If all that matters is winning, you'll lose credibility and respect with those around you. This isn't a rant on choke, just a general case where winning isn't everything. It's fair to say that reputation is still an important part of who your character is in Lusternia. If your opponents aren't having fun, they will quit. If that happens, then you'll run out of people to fight and ruin your own fun.

EDIT: Like I appreciated when Krellan tossed my fiance's corpse to me when they were raiding Celestia. Good sportsmanship makes it a bit more palatable to fight them, even though I don't know Blacktalon afflictions at all tongue.gif