Lusternian Songs

by Sylphas

Back to Creative Arts.

Sylphas2009-04-06 03:04:22
http://mlamar.googlepages.com/songsofthebasin

Can't fit it in an attachment, so I threw it up on googlepages. This is the song I submitted for the contest. I've worked up another for bardics, but I have no clue if there is a policy about posting submissions before they've been judged, so I'll wait to throw that one up.
Lendren2009-04-06 12:51:59
I wish this had been around before I wrote Torn Apart From Within. One of the characters is singing a bawdy song, and I wanted it to be an old, familiar folk song, but Lusternia doesn't have any. I didn't want to write a whole song from scratch just to have a few lines quoted as incidental music in a play, so I adapted a real-world bawdy song for it (The Widow of Westmoreland's Daughter). Since I was only quoting a few lines and since I made clear that it wasn't my work I figured I could get away with it, but I always wished I had a real Lusternian folk song to quote instead. (And it would have felt self-aggrandizing to use my own!) I'd've used yours for sure if it was around when I was writing that.

If you want to add mine to your page, you can find it in the bardics listings, it's named Fourplay. (Incidentally, you could probably also put this on the Culture pages of the Scrying Pool if you want.)
Sylphas2009-04-06 17:49:53
I will spruce it up a bit later tonight and add yours. If people want, we can start a Lusternian folklore/song archive. I also really like hearing the songs themselves, instead of just reading them, if anyone wants to record their songs or stories.