Racial Perception

by Snaithy

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Snaithy2009-03-15 16:55:50
So for a while now I've been pondering on how to play out the Igasho race. I've never bothered with it in the past, and the way Snaithy talks is quite similar to how I talk RL, which is something I want to change.

I've seen several good attempts at bringing the race to life, but how should I approach this?
Everiine2009-03-15 17:24:08
I sometimes find it helpful to be around racial NPCs. They can give you a glimpse into racial qualities and subtleties. The only Igasho NPCs I know are the Snow Mountain group and the one that works the Serenwilde elevator though.
Snaithy2009-03-15 17:25:20
Wheres the serenwilde elevator? :S
Unknown2009-03-15 17:46:14
QUOTE (Snaithy @ Mar 15 2009, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wheres the serenwilde elevator? :S

some commune eh?

I love my elfen lady!!! I have the strength of a igasho and the dex of a faeling!!!
Saaga2009-03-15 19:32:05
So for a while now I've been pondering on how to play out the Igasho race. I've never bothered with it in the past, and the way Snaithy talks is quite similar to how I talk RL, which is something I want to change.

I've seen several good attempts at bringing the race to life, but how should I approach this?

Say (In a thunderous voice) I am a huge, friendly igasho?

Seriously speaking, I love using the say (whatever).
Kante2009-03-15 20:34:23
Generally, as per the HELP IGASHO scroll, I imagine the Igasho race as generally friendly. I can imagine them to be found normally laughing at some incident, or find them in a bar drinking some ale while recounting their hunting tales. In my opinion, igasho would be a "manly man" of sorts. Big axe, big voice, a bit abrasive and lewd at times, but altogether a good fellow.
Snaithy2009-03-15 20:46:51
QUOTE (Kante @ Mar 15 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Generally, as per the HELP IGASHO scroll, I imagine the Igasho race as generally friendly. I can imagine them to be found normally laughing at some incident, or find them in a bar drinking some ale while recounting their hunting tales. In my opinion, igasho would be a "manly man" of sorts. Big axe, big voice, a bit abrasive and lewd at times, but altogether a good fellow.

Ha that actually sounds like Snaithy somewhat
Kante2009-03-15 20:49:27
QUOTE (Snaithy @ Mar 15 2009, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha that actually sounds like Snaithy somewhat

Then you have one part down.
Vhaas2009-03-15 20:52:25
I find it helpful to take an eclectic handful of IRL cultures and pick and choose from them selectively. After scoping out the Igasho NPCs and decided that they were burly, friendly giants, for example, you could mix and match from a dozen cultures and religions whose customs struck you as similar, adding a distinct Lusternian flavor to everything. Sweden, Germany, Cossacks anyone?

An important thing to remember I think is that portrayal > originality, so long as you never carbon copy something or restrict yourself only to the model you based things off of (or break a copyright), and branch out from it once you have a good concept of what you want to be. peace.gif

On a side note, I recall Lolli Pringle mentioning them in his memoirs as a rarely seen, solitary race that seldom left their mountain villages. Those were the old days though.
Saaga2009-03-15 20:53:24
Fitting for a rogue herbalist such as Snaithy!