Praise Your Builders

by Unknown

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Unknown2009-03-09 21:31:35
So many times, people just walk through rooms that have been built and don't really look at the work that's gone into creating them and the areas they belong to.

With that said, I'm opening up a topic that will give praise and let people brag about their favorite places in the game.

You'll need the following:
1. The Name of the room.
EXAMPLE: Altar of Night's Judgement

2. Description of the room

3. Why is it your favorite?

If you have more than one, then include them all! Let's give one back to the builders who make this game one of a kind.
Fania2009-03-09 23:20:10
I can't think of the rooms I like right now. I'll have to look and post here when I find some good ones. I know there are lots of lovely rooms out there.
Shaddus2009-03-09 23:47:43
Whoever worked on the Asylum. You rock. The whole thing is frigging awesome, and not just because I'm Magnagoran IRL.
Vhaas2009-03-10 00:00:13
My provisional favorite:

A panoramic view of the City.
Brass, bronze, and iron bells of tremendous girth fill the entire length and
breadth of this very constricted room. A magnificent view of Magnagora may be
obtained by peering over the skulls of various stone gargoyles that cast
watchful eyes in every direction over the city. A little to the south, the Great
Southern Highway meanders away past the City Gates. To the east, a multitude of
citizens can be seen assembled at the Atropos Plaza and spreading out directly
to the west is the Necropolis. A wooden ladder is affixed to one wall, offering
an unsteady exit below.

Simple, but conceptually comfortable. While I am sure this room attracts large groups of people for meetings and conspiracies of all types, when it does not it is where we do our drinking. Confined, detached, yet observant and aware- much like the character himself.
Dugan2009-03-10 00:22:11
Storage barrels and bottles that housed alcoholic beverages at one point in time have been overturned and broken, now lying about the cellar in ruins. Sickly sweet, the smell of the ruined containers' fruity contents hangs upon the cold air. A large impact mark has broken the stonework of the western wall, also bringing down the wine shelving so elegantly built into the wall. The eastern door has a deep red-tinted stain, perhaps from a bottle being broken against it, or perhaps from someone being broken against it.

This is out of Paavik in the old manor house. That has to be one of my favorite quests. Its so dark and twisted.
Krackenor2009-03-10 02:08:10
I forget exactly which one it is...but one of the rooms in the TBC is basically a panorama of the entire Basin. I thought that it was really cool. I'll update it when I find it.
Kante2009-03-10 04:19:39
QUOTE (Shaddus Mes'ard @ Mar 9 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whoever worked on the Asylum. You rock. The whole thing is frigging awesome, and not just because I'm Magnagoran IRL.

I'm going with Shaddus on this one. While I've only really paid attention to (or seen) the second level, it's amazing. I really feel like I can see everything first hand.

And also, as an added note, after being a builder short-term for a few different MUDs, I can say without a doubt: building is freaking difficult.
Gwylifar2009-03-10 12:16:07
Last time we had this thread I nominated a few rooms in the far parts of northern Serenwilde, plus the overall feel of Faethorn (some of the specific rooms are trying too hard, but the overall progression as one moves north to south, or vice versa, is very nicely done).
Unknown2009-03-10 20:45:31
In general, I LOVE the Undervault. More specifically, I LOVE the Illithoid Prison.

This room in particular has a very nice sense of insidious menace to it:

In the middle of a horrifying nursery
The cavernous walls twist upwards pulsing with a latent power and life of their own. Faint rays of light filters in from an opening to the northwest and a series of torches to the northeast. Rows upon rows of twisted cradles fill this large chamber, their impossible forms seeming to float in midair. The faint sounds of shuffling and scuttling creatures arise from the far corners of the cavern, obscured in shadow. The air itself vibrates here with a subtle psionic energy.

Also, there's:
Covered in grotesque images of horror, a Cradle of Twisted Dreams looms here, surrounded by a chilling black mist.

When probed, it is:

Hewn from rough grey-green stone, this Cradle of Twisted Dreams mirrors an ordinary baby cradle, yet its posh interior, lined in dark velvet, is covered with grotesque and horrific images that would frighten any child - depicting murder, maladies of the mind, and all manner of brutal torture in rich colour and vivid detail. The air around the cradle hums softly with latent power, and a chilling black mist surrounds the base of the cradle, swallowing it into a dark gloom that makes it appear to float upon nothing.

It's an important part of the room, so I figured I'd include it as well. I really need to get to the honours quests in the Prison one of these days...

Edit: Oooh, another cool cradle room!

The Hall of Collective Birth
The shadows rain down onto this bleak chamber. The only illumination comes from the faint flicker of torches outside this hall. Row upon row of twisted cradles crowd the entirety of the enormous hall, allowing for minimal exploration, their impossible shapes hovering in the gloom. The rocky ground is generously covered in a peculiar, dark liquid. The rustling and shifting of obscured creatures echoes quietly against the walls. An archway to the southwest leads off towards a torch-lit chamber.
Saaga2009-03-10 20:47:06
Elostian's Realm. I am completely, utterly in love with it. And Clarramore as well.
Elostian2009-03-11 09:03:42
Meh, my realm needs typo-fixing badly...
Furien2009-03-11 09:39:41
Major props to those who worked on Clarramore. Really, if it was closer to Serenwilde I'd make it my personal hangout area. The place is just so beautiful and the design behind it feels so real, and it's got so many pretty things inside!
Unknown2009-03-11 09:41:07
I bet your favourite is the guano, right?
Furien2009-03-11 09:48:13
I giggle when I drop it at the Ravenwood. ninja.gif
Unknown2009-03-11 09:52:20
Psh. We got caves full of bats already. Guano means nothing to us.
Saaga2009-03-11 10:32:18
Meh, my realm needs typo-fixing badly...

Now don't you start! The realm is brilliant, complex and absolutely beautiful - if there are typos, they sure don't stand out from under what I perceive as sheer brilliance. And no, I am not biased! ninja.gif

EDIT: And I need to learn how to quote.
Unknown2009-03-11 11:45:08
QUOTE (Furien @ Mar 11 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Major props to those who worked on Clarramore. Really, if it was closer to Serenwilde I'd make it my personal hangout area. The place is just so beautiful and the design behind it feels so real, and it's got so many pretty things inside!

Serenwilde's the closest organization to Clarramore rolleyes.gif

But yes, Clarramore, aside from providing me with an influencing ground, also hints out Hallifax. I know it won't be coming out in years, but hey, I can hope! biggrin.gif
Unknown2009-03-11 12:56:48
QUOTE (Alacardael! @ Mar 11 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Serenwilde's the closest organization to Clarramore rolleyes.gif

But yes, Clarramore, aside from providing me with an influencing ground, also hints out Hallifax. I know it won't be coming out in years, but hey, I can hope! biggrin.gif

Besides, Clarramore is so near to Avechna's Peak. Just go through the Aetherplex and you'd be very near.
Siam2009-03-11 14:56:51
Maylea's Realm, -and- Ethereal Serenwilde content.gif and Vestera's Eye (plus the 'eye' itself)
Unknown2009-03-16 16:34:31
The Nintoba Naos in Serenwilde. To this day, my character keeps a painting of it and a replica of the statue of Nintoba in her manse.

The other one? Hmm. Altar of Night's Judgement and the statue that takes you to it. Much love to the admin for letting us have that. love.gif