Keep City/Commune Conflict Quests?

by Estarra

Back to The Polling Place.

Estarra2009-03-05 22:30:02
Maybe it's come time to finally just lay to rest the mechanical city/commune conflict quests, or at least remove the more burdensome aspects of it. Let us know what you think!
Shaddus2009-03-05 22:35:16
QUOTE (Estarra @ Mar 5 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it's come time to finally just lay to rest the mechanical city/commune conflict quests, or at least remove the more burdensome aspects of it. Let us know what you think!

No, as a matter of fact, I really wish you would redo the Marilynth/Ladantine quest to where her song really pulls the spectres up, and the Ship of the Dead really stops the sands from appearing ((Or whatever it was supposed to do.))

Nothing wrong with conflict, we aren't all sitting on rainbows drinking strawberry milk and watching Carebears. We NEED conflict. Conflict brings change. Change is good. Therefore, conflict is good.
Kiradawea2009-03-05 22:38:59
No. In fact, introduce more conflict quests. Create quests that provide benefit for your own org, some of them at the cost of other orgs. Don't remove the few avenues of conflict that non-fighters can participate in.
Xenthos2009-03-05 22:44:01
QUOTE (Kiradawea @ Mar 5 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. In fact, introduce more conflict quests. Create quests that provide benefit for your own org, some of them at the cost of other orgs. Don't remove the few avenues of conflict that non-fighters can participate in.

Which conflict quests are you even thinking of? The entire concept of Lusternian conflict quests is completely against your post. Conflict quests are all about fighting / fighters, and non-fighters die off in droves if they even think of going near it.
Kiradawea2009-03-05 22:45:21
Raising Marilynth or the Ship of the Dead doesn't involve PvP as far as I'm aware.
Xenthos2009-03-05 22:46:42
QUOTE (Kiradawea @ Mar 5 2009, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Raising Marilynth or the Ship of the Dead doesn't involve PvP as far as I'm aware.

That's because they made it not a conflict quest.

Before that, it was nearly constant fighting on both sides. Remember that doing the quest / stopping the other side from doing theirs makes you a nice little enemy and open season whenever you go near their side.

(That's why it changed, y'know?)
Razenth2009-03-05 22:50:23
Or gorgogs! Don't forget the gorgogs!

Srsly though, no change please. I lived through novicehood with sands being dissolved in my hands, or random gorgogs beating the crap out of me, and I liked it.
Xenthos2009-03-05 22:52:38
QUOTE (Razenth @ Mar 5 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or gorgogs! Don't forget the gorgogs!

Yes, I remember them getting nerfed, too.

Hm, though you're right that it didn't involve as much PK-- the complaints against it which got it nerfed were that you couldn't PK to stop those icky Serens from opening the rift. Naught naughty Serens.

Of course, now that you get enemied to Gorgogs, that entire point is moot-- if they brought it back to its conflict state I'm sure you'd see a whole world of new "conflict" in Bondero. Whether people were actually trying to do the quest, or just bashing.
Shaddus2009-03-05 22:53:03
QUOTE (Kiradawea @ Mar 5 2009, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QFT.

Make something Celest/Serenwilde can do for the TBC effect.

Moar quests.
Gregori2009-03-05 22:55:33
If any conflict quest should be turned off it is TBC. That quest is the most obnoxious to deal with and the fact people can come along and newbie kick the kid dismantling the antennae, without anyone able to stop it, makes it far more annoying than just about anything. Hell I would rather join Glomdoring and protect babies from Serenwilde than guard that kid.
Razenth2009-03-05 22:56:40
Or make the kid tougher or something. Also, I wish the old conflict quests were reinstated. sad.gif They added so much flavor. Which novice knows about gorgogs nowadays?
Gwylifar2009-03-05 23:04:47
My feeling is the quests need to have an ending, even if only a temporary ending. For instance, once Celest has beaten down the Necromentate, right now they can keep draining it, and there's a ton of pressure on Magnagora to do something about it. Maybe once it's down, it should be more like the nexus weakenings, where when it's done it's done, there's a period when the loser has some disadvantage and the winner can't attack again.
Everiine2009-03-05 23:18:51
QUOTE (Gwylifar @ Mar 5 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My feeling is the quests need to have an ending, even if only a temporary ending. For instance, once Celest has beaten down the Necromentate, right now they can keep draining it, and there's a ton of pressure on Magnagora to do something about it. Maybe once it's down, it should be more like the nexus weakenings, where when it's done it's done, there's a period when the loser has some disadvantage and the winner can't attack again.

There you go, conflict quests can cycle, but there needs to be an "end" to each part of the cycle, a time when the winner can reap the benefits and the loser has consequences before the cycle begins again. Not sure the Nexus weakening model is a good one though, since those aren't really used.
Dysolis2009-03-05 23:21:48
I'm fairly certain I can think of something that has conflicts and lots of RP and has been ignored for some time now! It may or may not involve lot's of feuding Dracnari or Trill....... and hot volcanos and crystal skies oh my!
Kiradawea2009-03-05 23:24:32
The hand is tedious. No wait, it is TEDIOUS. T.E.D.I.O.U.S. Tedious. Not fun. Not fun at all.
Kante2009-03-05 23:25:37
QUOTE (Gwylifar @ Mar 5 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.
Isuka2009-03-05 23:25:52
I remember how pissed.gif off I was when they decided to end landmarking in Aetolia. Please don't do that here. The quests need a bit of tweaking, and a bit of recoup time, but they need to exist.
Dysolis2009-03-05 23:27:55
It'sonly tedious if you don't do it, I did it my self for some 15 times. If a group effort is involved then it goes by quick.
Everiine2009-03-05 23:40:10
QUOTE (Dysolis @ Mar 5 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'sonly tedious if you don't do it, I did it my self for some 15 times. If a group effort is involved then it goes by quick.

Airyn and I, hunting almost every RL day for two weeks more than once, almost didn't get it. So it takes at least 500-1000 Sandojin to build that censor.gif statue, taking into account that there were probably days one of us didn't get around to it. Plus, unless it's changed, every time you build the statue it takes MORE to build it next time. Then, THEN the second half begins, which is just as tedious, but I don't think as long. Plus, there are three months where the quest can't be done because they don't do any research in the winter. That quest is evil. Now Airyn has an honours line, and I wonder if I'm even going to try anymore, because I have nothing to show for the three weeks of work.
Dysolis2009-03-05 23:41:14
Whatever you say.