Demigods and Death

by Atellus

Back to The Polling Place.

Atellus2008-07-18 20:11:17
I have been giving this a bit of thought recently and I thought I would open it up for comment.

Right now as a demigod I am able to prepay for my deaths by participating in PvE. When I die I instantly come back to the havens and then I can instantly tess to anyone. The only thing that slows me down is buffing (assuming a large essence buffer, which is a very reasonable assumption).

The number of active demigods is only going to increase over time. Once an org (or group of allied orgs) gets to a critical mass of active demigods it becomes next to impossible to successfully remove them from an area. In order to do so you need to kill each demi before the first is able to tess back (or drop a bunch of monos). I could see this becoming very demoralizing.

I think adding a forced reform timer that starts at 0 and increases by 10 seconds (perhaps more?) for every death you suffered in the last hour seems like a good way to balance things. It still gives demigods a high degree of power, but it prevents a large group of them from continually coming back and prolonging a fight.

I have only seen this as a partial problem at the moment with the number of active demis, but I worry it will get worse in the future. I thought it would be best to bring up now in the abstract before we are dealing with it in a rants thread.
Ashai2008-07-18 20:23:39
I voted for a flat time at first, but I think now I would change my vote to 'other', and say that they should have some sort of a reform time (significantly less than ascendants), which can be bypassed by some extra essence spent (significantly less than ascendants).
Karnagan2008-07-18 20:26:42
As a practical matter, anyone with Trans Planar can return to a battlefield within a minute at most if it isn't on an aetherbubble. Even if a fight is on an aetherbubble, only one demigod needs to be active to bring a whole team back into the fight. Making demigods pay a larger penalty to get back into a fight than a normal person would probably won't be considered an acceptable solution.
Rika2008-07-18 20:29:41
I went with no. This is a stupid idea to nerf demigods further.
Atellus2008-07-18 20:35:35
QUOTE(Ashai @ Jul 18 2008, 01:23 PM) 535091
I voted for a flat time at first, but I think now I would change my vote to 'other', and say that they should have some sort of a reform time (significantly less than ascendants), which can be bypassed by some extra essence spent (significantly less than ascendants).

If you can bypass with essence then you are back to having no time as long as you prepare first.

QUOTE(Karnagan @ Jul 18 2008, 01:26 PM) 535094
As a practical matter, anyone with Trans Planar can return to a battlefield within a minute at most if it isn't on an aetherbubble. Even if a fight is on an aetherbubble, only one demigod needs to be active to bring a whole team back into the fight. Making demigods pay a larger penalty to get back into a fight than a normal person would probably won't be considered an acceptable solution.

I agree that trans planar reform allows one to get back in the action almost as fast as the demi on any non-aetherbubble (or muud) setting. I would support having a small reform time for repeated deaths.

Perhaps this is not a large deal when compared with trans planar, and perhaps the cost of the essence is already enough to limit how many people are willing to die 10 times in a row. At the same time I think a small increasing reform time would not hinder a demigod 90% of the time, and in return it would allow for a side to "win" a bit longer than is possible right now.

I wanted to see what others thought though so I do appreciate the feedback, it is exactly what I was looking for smile.gif
Karnagan2008-07-18 20:44:43
QUOTE(Atellus @ Jul 18 2008, 06:05 PM) 535099
Perhaps this is not a large deal when compared with trans planar

Just so. smile.gif

But it's even simpler than what we have discussed. If there is one person in the aetherbubble who has a ship on Prime and a CHEAP whistle, if the attacking force has the presence of mind to get in that ship when they conglut, and if the person summons them- you're back to square one. Unless you've camped the aetherdocks, which typically doesn't even happen in domoth battles. The presence of a Demigod with a whistle just makes it much, much easier to park the ship back on Prime and recall the attacking force.

Don't even get me started on how Tarot users, people with pyramids/cubixes, spores, etc can make travelling in the non-aetherbubble area easy. Interminable combat's always been a fact of life here.
Catarin2008-07-18 20:53:29
I can get back into a fight anywhere extremely quickly. This is true. But as others are pointing out, this is not unique to demigods. As Karnagan stated, trans planar which is pretty much standard fare for those serious about combat. Liches are another example frequently cited. Any ability to self-ressurect is pretty much in this category.

Killing people is really not a viable method of getting them out of a fight a great deal of the time.
Unknown2008-07-18 20:56:54
Catarin is right, the only real way is to greif them to death and use a lol lame ability to demoralize the enemy.
Unknown2008-07-18 21:38:24
I say demi's get to reform on the spot for a hefty essence cost, and a low essence cost for standard waiting around to pull together.
Atellus2008-07-18 21:41:14
QUOTE(Catarin @ Jul 18 2008, 01:53 PM) 535111
I can get back into a fight anywhere extremely quickly. This is true. But as others are pointing out, this is not unique to demigods. As Karnagan stated, trans planar which is pretty much standard fare for those serious about combat. Liches are another example frequently cited. Any ability to self-ressurect is pretty much in this category.

Killing people is really not a viable method of getting them out of a fight a great deal of the time.

Right, I did not think about trans planar enough. In my perfect world both Conglutination and Phoenix would have this diminishing return mechanic built in.

Clearly though not many find the issue of instant reform + tess anywhere a big deal, so question answered smile.gif
Ashteru2008-07-19 10:12:03
QUOTE(rika @ Jul 18 2008, 08:29 PM) 535097

/agree
Unknown2008-07-20 09:13:21
QUOTE(rika @ Jul 18 2008, 10:29 PM) 535097

QFT

Furthermore, if an ascedant waits around for reform it means they reform with NO ESSENCE COST at all. If you want to give this option to demigods who right now always have to pay essence to come back, sure. Otherwise, there really isn't a reason to nerf them any further just to glorify ascendants. Additionally, ascendants cannot lose ascendant-hood. Demigods can lose demigod. And if they do they're not going to regain it easily or soon (kicked back to 50% titan instanly now I believe. Used to be 0% titan)
Hyrtakos2008-07-22 07:35:42
10 seconds per death passed the first death per hour? That's hardly anything and at least provides some means to keep one away and whittle away at a group eventually.

Demigods have been taking it on the chin since I've become one, but I don't feel this would be a bad change. If anything, a longer increase would be needed. Thirty seconds or so.

Edit: (and increased essence losses please)
Unknown2008-07-22 07:41:41
Good suggestion.

If anything, what I want to see is conglutinate not being worthless to demis/ascendants anymore. Maybe a reduction in essence cost upon death if you've got conglutinate.
Rika2008-07-22 07:44:23
The thing is that it costs less to phoenix off prime than on prime, so I assume that is already considered.
Xenthos2008-07-22 08:09:43
QUOTE(rika @ Jul 22 2008, 03:44 AM) 536281
The thing is that it costs less to phoenix off prime than on prime, so I assume that is already considered.

That is kind of a hackneyed thing, as even if you didn't have conglut it would take the lesser amount (which isn't really a bad thing, it works).

Ascendants don't even get that much, though.
Shiri2008-07-22 08:21:22
Are there any demigods WITHOUT conglut?
Xenthos2008-07-22 08:47:13
QUOTE(Shiri @ Jul 22 2008, 04:21 AM) 536295
Are there any demigods WITHOUT conglut?

Any Demigod with a Truedisfavour and without two Truefavours?