Divine scripture

by Morvior

Back to Creative Arts.

Morvior2008-01-13 19:41:30
I'm overly critical of myself at times, and I'd like to get the kind of feeling people get when they read these, and feedback is always welcome.

Note: These are/are going to be put into Fain's holy book, so I'd like to get them looking good! And yes, they are meant to sound a little crazy.

Also: I know the spacing might look a little weird, but in the Nexus client it comes up fine for putting it into books.

DIES IRAE

8.1 OUR LORD OF THE MASQUE,
He who is HIGH ABOVE ALL

8.2 For on the last days of the reign of
those who commit HERESY

8.3 Against HIS name shall be ruined

8.4 For the seas shall bubble in HIS RAGE

8.5 And the oceans will turn as CRIMSON BLOOD

8.6 And lo, the shards of Meridian shall CRY of woe

8.7 For GREAT shall be HIS VENGEANCE

8.8 And lo, the shards of Elfenehoala
shall BEG for mercy,

8.9 But shall recieve none,

9.1 For HE is of WAR and of PAIN,

9.2 For mercy is ABHORRANT and none shall
be granted to HIS enemies

9.3 And by HIS side, HIS pupil, Morgfyre,

9.4 Shall kneel beneath HIS GLORY, and shall exhalt
him as GOD OF GODS

9.5 The HIGH KING OF KINGS

9.6 And HIS enemies shall be smited to the ground

9.7 Their bones shallbe raised as great pillars
and altars to HIS WORSHIP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

C O N F I T E O R

9.8 For beneath HIM we are of nothing,
it is by HIS GRACE and GLORY that we are raised

9.9 We worship HIM for HE is the TRUE WAY,
praise HIM for granting US the vision of TRUE GLORY

10.1 I confess of my weakness before HE granted me STRENGTH

10.2 I confess of my fear before HE had shown me TRUE FEAR

10.3 I confess of pride before HE had shown me MY PLACE

10.4 For without HIM we are but MAGGOT upon the
FESTERING CORPSE of the basin

10.5 For without HIM we are but a PAWN in HIS game

10.6 For without HIM we are NOTHING

10.7 I praise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEUS OMNIPOTENS

10.8 I have seen the POWER of the CRIMSON LORD

10.9 I have seen the skies turn of BLOOD RED beneith
HIS RAGE

11.1 I have seen the CRIMSON LIGHTNING soar through
the sky to smite down the HERETIC

11.2 I have felt the FLAMES of HIS WRATH, and I have
been forged ANEW for HIS PURPOSE

11.3 For it is but NOTHING for HIS POWER to
reach out and bring us closer to HIM

11.4 For WE are HIS DANCERS, we dance within
HIS MASQUERADE, and we PRAISE.

11.5 For beneath HIS RAGE, the other gods shook and struck
a pact against HIM

11.6 For they could not face HIM alone, for HIS POWER
is greater

11.7 And so, with HIS POWER, we are made greater

11.8 For HE will REFORGE US as HIS TOOLS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAUDES DIVINAE

11.9 In HIS name I cry praise

12.1 I am but NOTHING before HIS GLORY

12.2 BLESSED be HIS GLORY

12.3 BLESSED be HIS RAGE

12.4 BLESSED be HIS WRATH

12.5 BLESSED be HIS THRONE

12.6 For upon HIS throne HE reigns over ALL

12.7 Through HIM we are HIS

12.7 Through HIM we are STRONG

12.8 By HIS WILL we are made POWERFUL

12.9 BLESSED be to HIM, THE CRIMSON MASQUE,
THE LORD OF WAR, THE GOD OF GODS,
THE HIGH KING OF KINGS.

13.1 I praise

Navaryn2008-01-13 19:50:21
This kind of reminds me of the Apocrypha in Achaea smile.gif

Looks good.
Lanath2008-01-14 01:26:26
Oh, I love 'em! What great Fain prayers. Powerful, angry, and a wee dash of crazy. I like how you've formatted the whole thing- each line gets a designation, and I love this bit.

8.6 And lo, the shards of Meridian shall CRY of woe

8.7 For GREAT shall be HIS VENGEANCE

8.8 And lo, the shards of Elfenehoala
shall BEG for mercy,

They look great!
Richter2008-01-14 11:58:36
That's great. biggrin.gif Then you can run around quoting scripture, hehe.
Arvont2008-01-14 12:18:54
Ooh! 'Shards of Elfenehoala'...I like them! biggrin.gif
Unknown2008-01-14 16:37:26
Oooo, I really like this. Good work.
Morvior2008-01-14 17:16:10
QUOTE(Richter @ Jan 14 2008, 11:58 AM) 476896
That's great. biggrin.gif Then you can run around quoting scripture, hehe.

That's the plan.. tongue.gif

Thank you for the responses. Seem positive, so I'll go ahead with doin' this stuff then. smile.gif
Daganev2008-01-14 19:41:22
Meh, I'm not a big fan.

The language seems out of place to me.

But if thats the angel and tone Fain wants, you can't really argue -against- it.

It would have been nicer if the language style more fit say, those pieces from keph's book, or other known styles of writing within lusternia.

In general it pulls me out of the Lusternia universe and makes me think, "Oh how cute, they are trying to make an IC bible"
Fain2008-01-14 21:47:55
QUOTE(daganev @ Jan 14 2008, 02:41 PM) 476984
In general it pulls me out of the Lusternia universe and makes me think, "Oh how cute, they are trying to make an IC bible"

This doesn't seem to me to be an insurmountable objection. After all, I am a God.
Jael2008-01-15 00:01:04
Wow. Fain wins.

Um, just wanted to point a couple of things out so that his Bible will be killer awesome.

9.2 - ABHORRENT, as opposed to ABHORRANT

10.4 - MAGGOTS, as opposed to MAGGOT

I think. Wonderful work, Morvior!!
Morvior2008-01-15 00:07:58
Thanks, Jael! This is what I'm looking for. biggrin.gif
Daganev2008-01-15 00:10:52
QUOTE(Fain @ Jan 14 2008, 01:47 PM) 477012
This doesn't seem to me to be an insurmountable objection. After all, I am a God.

Yes, but not a god in the traditional sense which produced biblical literature smile.gif

I'd have liked to see more of the amoral nature of Lusternia in the text.

Lusternia has "mechanisms" for prophecy, I'm not sure why a book would declare them in the use of language that this one does.

Why the absolutist tone of the text?

Whats value is confession in Lusternia? Whats the basis of that?

Basically, I find that Lusternia has a tone, and this book deviates from that tone.

(I need to find those passages from the prophecies regarding magnagora... I forget what they were called. But the book should be more in that vain I would expect)
Nott2008-01-15 00:19:07
I don't know how you can say Fain isn't a god that produced biblical literature. The atmosphere of Lusternia is to consider Fain as a supreme being, something beyond mortal comprehension. Which is obviously what the God of the Bible -- which I am assuming is what you are basing your claim on -- is, beyond the comprehension of mortals.

I don't understand what you mean by amoral nature, could you please elaborate?

I would be under the impression that the absolutist tone of the book is because Fain is a strict deity. His anger would be upon those who do not follow him, and so forth. I think that for a god such as Fain, that how the book is written is very nicely done.

And I think you are looking for the Verses of Magnora.
Daganev2008-01-15 00:20:45
Found them:

"The end begins when reality shudders,
As descendents of our escape falter,
The sundering of reality is stayed,
By anchors made by dying brothers."

"Forgotten hunger eats its bonds,
gorged on bleakness, awakened strong,
world spine cracked in twain,
death comes from waters of despair."

"First to fall is the City of Prophets, beneath their dark stone
Then the forest under the Silver Moon shall die in fire."
Followed by life snuffed out by those under the Bright Star."
"Last to be defeated are those hidden in the dark forest's shadow."
Daganev2008-01-15 00:28:49
QUOTE(Nott @ Jan 14 2008, 04:19 PM) 477052
I don't know how you can say Fain isn't a god that produced biblical literature. The atmosphere of Lusternia is to consider Fain as a supreme being, something beyond mortal comprehension. Which is obviously what the God of the Bible -- which I am assuming is what you are basing your claim on -- is, beyond the comprehension of mortals.

I don't understand what you mean by amoral nature, could you please elaborate?

I would be under the impression that the absolutist tone of the book is because Fain is a strict deity. His anger would be upon those who do not follow him, and so forth. I think that for a god such as Fain, that how the book is written is very nicely done.

And I think you are looking for the Verses of Magnora.

Biblical literature is based on the idea of one all knowing, all powerfull god, all other gods being false gods.

Lusternia however does not have that environment. It has a multiple gods, no single god being all powerfull (not even estarra or Roark or Kethuru) The tone should be more that of Greek or other pagan literature (as Lusternia has done in the past)

Fain may be the "best" but he is far from being all knowing, or all powerful. (Certainly that was rped in the past, don't know about now)

Fain doesn't even have the power to stop the Avenger from afflicting his followers.

By amoral nature I mean that each group can be seen as good or evil. The entire concept of good or evil does not currently exist in Lusternia. Its an amoral world, where things are either part of "our ways" or not. The closest thing we have to "evil" is soulless, and even that is only because of the concept of self preservation. Fain and others certainly don't mind the soulless when they can be used as pawns.

Jael2008-01-15 00:30:27
I'm relatively new to discussing the overall tone of Lusternia, but it seems that the Verses were written in a prophetic style. This is a purely religious work - should it not, then, be scrawled out by a fanatical priest in order to get the best essence and meaning out of the words?

Just my two cents. confused.gif

Edit: Oh, yeah, Fain can be all-powerful if his priests want to make him appear that way to the flock. It's a surefire way to keep followers!
Morvior2008-01-15 00:37:20
Actually some gods do put themselves as the 'One True God'.

Fain does, anyway. So that is quite In Character, he's the one that wants dominance over all others. So, eventually, in good time..

When fain takes over?

We'll kill Avencha and storm the Heavens, etc, etc.

(Join Fain)
Jael2008-01-15 00:39:18
(Morgfyre's gonna eat everything. We like him.) quickexit.gif
Nott2008-01-15 00:42:37
I guess I will just have to agree to disagree, because I don't see why he can't attempt to create some sort of 'biblical' literature. Fain, to his followers, can be seen as the supreme god on high, and that all other deities are false and lead to weakness -- which, in my mind, is exactly how the Bible is read. (Except, replace weakness with wickedness, but you get the idea)

I still don't understand your amoral nature thought either. You just said that it is not going to happen in the context of Lusternia, so why even mention it? If it is not going to happen, then it is not going to happen.

And the Verses of Magnora were written by an entirely different entity, Keph of the Many Eyes. This book is scripture of mortals, so it would make sense that it is written not comparable to the Verses. I wholeheartedly agree with Jael on this one.

But anyway, I think you did a wonderful job, Morvior! biggrin.gif
Daganev2008-01-15 00:51:01
QUOTE(Morvior @ Jan 14 2008, 04:37 PM) 477062
Actually some gods do put themselves as the 'One True God'.

Fain does, anyway. So that is quite In Character, he's the one that wants dominance over all others. So, eventually, in good time..

When fain takes over?

We'll kill Avencha and storm the Heavens, etc, etc.

(Join Fain)

Oh well, then thats just stupid and reason enough to laugh at the book ICly. smile.gif (out of earshot of the "all powerful, all knowing Fain" of course)

I guess Lusternian gods are allowed to have delusions and grander and their followers to display it. biggrin.gif

edit: The Fain I followed was much more subtle and interesting than that however. He saw himself as the smartest of all the gods, who was scorned by them, and he would defeat them, and the followers would as well, because of our better training and molding, not, and superior tactics. Not because fates willed it.