Killing sentient beings/other races

by Unknown

Back to The Polling Place.

Unknown2007-04-01 15:05:19
Something I've been wondering about is how we view the killing of other sentient beings, mainly other races, in Lusternia. Is it an ordinary past time, or does it actually bear some morality issues with it? Do you think about what your character is doing and how you want to shape their beliefs when/if you hunt other races? I suppose Magnagorans are an exception to that because you'd... expect them to act that way, but I'm interested in hearing what individual people have to say about their actions too. In my own opinion, unless you have a solid reason to be hunting them because they're opposed to your org's beliefs or you just really really hate them (in which case you'd be a really hateful person ohmy.gif), I see it as being a cold-hearted and almost evil act. Maybe everyone is cold-hearted and evil *shrug* Or maybe we just don't have enough 'neutral' hunting grounds?

I know that Lusternia is a game, but I'd like to think that, besides our mechanics and storyline, this aspect of the world that many people spend most of their time doing bears at least a little more realism and rationality then the other hack 'n slashers out there.

Note: And I'll just clarify beforehand...

'Yes, I have a solid justification' would count for reasons such as the group being actively opposed to your organization, the group is dangerous, you have a personal feud with that group, you strongly dislike them, or you really are evil.
Furien2007-04-01 15:09:38
Magnagora's literally got come CHELP RACES thing. Explains how Fain views Elfen and Merian with contempt, but favours Taurian, Orclach, yada yada.

Personally- hey, if it's going to get me some cash, I'll hunt you. I mean you're only going to die over and over again, and never die for good. So you'd best enjoy it! unsure.gif
Ialie2007-04-01 15:10:04
QUOTE(Shou @ Apr 1 2007, 11:05 AM) 394660
Something I've been wondering about is how we view the killing of other sentient beings, mainly other races, in Lusternia. Is it an ordinary past time, or does it actually bear some morality issues with it? Do you think about what your character is doing and how you want to shape their beliefs when/if you hunt other races? I suppose Magnagorans are an exception to that because you'd... expect them to act that way, but I'm interested in hearing what individual people have to say about their actions too. In my own pinion, unless you have a solid reason to be hunting them because they're opposed to your org's beliefs or you just really really hate them (in which case you'd be a really hateful person ohmy.gif), I see it as being a cold-hearted and almost evil act. Maybe everyone is cold-hearted and evil *shrug* I know that Lusternia is a game, but I'd like to think that, besides our mechanics and storyline, this aspect of the world that many people spend most of their time doing bears at least a little more realism and rationality then the other hack 'n slashers out there.

I wonder if most people feel the mechanics forces them to be serial killers? Most of the things to kill for people who cannot reach astral are sentients. If we aren't talking about Astral, the Sentients on prime are pretty much the best way to gain experience. (I think)

Shamarah2007-04-01 15:10:48
I've always figured it's not really that important since they come back through the Fates anyhow, right?

Anyway, Shamarah still believes in Hajamin's opinions about the innocent (that is, that there's no such thing as innocence and therefore it's okay to kill whatever you want)
Ialie2007-04-01 15:11:09
QUOTE(Furien @ Apr 1 2007, 11:09 AM) 394661
Magnagora's literally got come CHELP RACES thing. Explains how Fain views Elfen and Merian with contempt, but favours Taurian, Orclach, yada yada.

Personally- hey, if it's going to get me some cash, I'll hunt you. I mean you're only going to die over and over again, and never die for good. So you'd best enjoy it! unsure.gif

I am not sure if when we are roleplaying that we should assume the fates will bring us or the mobs back. When we actually go through the experience we always seem thankful to be back. It is always in question I thought.

It isn't always about the death though but your character is putting someone through physical pain, they scream they bleed, and your character watches it all and walks away.

I know I'm speaking for only my character here, but Ialie would feel guilty inflicting those things on a sentient.
Shamarah2007-04-01 15:14:28
QUOTE(Ialie @ Apr 1 2007, 11:11 AM) 394664
I am not sure if when we are roleplaying that we should assume the fates will bring us or the mobs back. When we actually go through the experience we always seem thankful to be back. It is always in question I thought.

Have you ever heard of anyone dying and then failing to come back through the Fates, excepting those who committed suicide?

You'd think your characters would realize that the Fates are just going to keep bringing them back and eventually cease to be surprised by the whole process.
Aiakon2007-04-01 15:14:58
Might've clicked the wrong box in the poll.

But Aiakon kills anything. Anything he dislikes, anything that makes him stronger. He doesn't need a rational reason for it, he just enjoys killing.

Of course there are things that he won't kill.. but only if the potential consequences outweigh the benefits. So.. no killing the ur'dead and no killing the viscanti.. and if asked Aiakon would say that these are his allies or the members of his family or members of his guild and of course he wouldn't kill them... but that's not the real reason.. it all comes down to weighing up benefit and consequence. Aiakon would stab his sister and eat her brains if the benefits outweighed the consequences.
Unknown2007-04-01 15:15:57
I nearly forgot about the Portal... hmm, do they really just resurrect an infinite number of times? I've thought about it like... if you kill gorgogs, more will come from aetherspace. If you kill sabretooths, more will eventually reproduce, etc etc. But there is only one Marinus, or one Gognigin... eeh I don't know, maybe that's looking into it too deep.
Ialie2007-04-01 15:16:17
QUOTE(Shamarah @ Apr 1 2007, 11:14 AM) 394666
Have you ever heard of anyone dying and then failing to come back through the Fates, excepting those who committed suicide?

You'd think your characters would realize that the Fates are just going to keep bringing them back and eventually cease to be surprised by the whole process.

But they don't. Your experience and feelings bout the experience are written for you when you go through the process.
Diamondais2007-04-01 15:16:49
Only Sentients my character really 'hunt' are the Astrologers and the Freaks in the Observatory. Mostly because what they do to children, regardless of them being tainted, always made me feel iffy as a player. The Freaks is more of a character thing, she views them as unnatural and beyond twisted without repair and that the only thing for them is death.

Perhaps not the greatest reasons, but the only reasonings I have and need.

Oh, and I guess the Daughters/Avatars too, but that's a pretty obvious reason. tongue.gif
Shamarah2007-04-01 15:16:52
QUOTE(Shou @ Apr 1 2007, 11:15 AM) 394668
I nearly forgot about the Portal... hmm, do they really just resurrect an infinite number of times? I've thought about it like... if you kill gorgogs, more will come from aetherspace. If you kill sabretooths, more will eventually reproduce, etc etc. But there is only one Marinus, or one Gognigin... eeh I don't know, maybe that's looking into it too deep.

If you kill all of them, though, they still come back. And reproducing back to full population in a day doesn't exactly make sense either.

I don't really see any IC explanation for it other than coming back through the Fates.
Furien2007-04-01 15:17:21
Oh, I can fully understand the whole suffering thing. With the gory minorsecond death, I don't hunt children. Don't have the heart for that. cry.gif
Aiakon2007-04-01 15:17:38
QUOTE(Shou @ Apr 1 2007, 04:15 PM) 394668
eeh I don't know, maybe that's looking into it too deep.

'fraid so. This game requires a good deal of suspension of disbelief.
Ialie2007-04-01 15:19:22
QUOTE(Furien @ Apr 1 2007, 11:17 AM) 394672
Oh, I can fully understand the whole suffering thing. With the gory minorsecond death, I don't hunt children. Don't have the heart for that. cry.gif

wub.gif
Asarnil2007-04-01 22:21:39
Minorsecond is gory?

TIME FOR A BARD ALT!
Unknown2007-04-01 22:36:12
Minorsecond deaths have the victim's eyeballs fly out, if I remember correctly. On the other hand I think cosmicfire (maybe blast? Don't remember) dissolves the skin from the victim's bones while they cry out in agony.

My character is a lot like Aiakon. The only reason he won't kill things is if the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. So no villagers, and actually so far nothing that results in enemy status at all, except for Supernals.
Anarias2007-04-01 22:40:12
So what if they come back after you kill them? If I spit on your face you can just wipe it off and it'll be like it never happened. Does that mean you don't care if I do it?
Unknown2007-04-01 22:47:24
QUOTE(Aiakon @ Apr 1 2007, 10:14 AM) 394667
Might've clicked the wrong box in the poll.

But Aiakon kills anything. Anything he dislikes, anything that makes him stronger. He doesn't need a rational reason for it, he just enjoys killing.

Of course there are things that he won't kill.. but only if the potential consequences outweigh the benefits. So.. no killing the ur'dead and no killing the viscanti.. and if asked Aiakon would say that these are his allies or the members of his family or members of his guild and of course he wouldn't kill them... but that's not the real reason.. it all comes down to weighing up benefit and consequence. Aiakon would stab his sister and eat her brains if the benefits outweighed the consequences.

Same here

The other day Orti told some pilgrims that he would take them to Avechna's peak. He leaded them to a manse, killed them all, and then proceeded to deliver his bounty to where he promised. Even if I didn't get any gold out of it, Orti kills. He's a little bit crude. The only thing that stops him from killing commune mates are the leaves of Serenwilde, but if there were no such thing, lots and lots of snugglers would've died already

He also enjoys Merian Fishcakes
Diamondais2007-04-01 22:49:52
QUOTE(Corinthian @ Apr 1 2007, 06:47 PM) 394776
Same here

The other day Orti told some pilgrims that he would take them to Avechna's peak. He leaded them to a manse, killed them all, and then proceeded to deliver his bounty to where he promised. Even if I didn't get any gold out of it, Orti kills. He's a little bit crude. The only thing that stops him from killing commune mates are the leaves of Serenwilde, but if there were no such thing, lots and lots of snugglers would've died already

He also enjoys Merian Fishcakes

If there were no Leaves, you'd find it done more so from a lot of others.
Reiha2007-04-01 23:08:24
Reiha used to feel guilty about killing the gnomes and finks, and went to Celest to pay for her sins. She's changed, to say the least. pureevil.gif