What to call the new forging hammer?

by Daganev

Back to The Polling Place.

Daganev2006-11-27 22:19:08
If you have any other suggestions let me know I'll add them to the poll.
Ildaudid2006-11-27 22:23:20
Ok people who just want to be silly, post your reasons for wanting to keep it a hammer please? Right now it triggers you to weapon probe the hammer of forging instead of the hammer you ARE forging... thus requiring you to wp # which means you have to go through you ii list which could be extremely long and time consuming.

I say mallet, an anvil would be too wierd since it is placed in the forge...

edit- Hmm apron would be nice, since you can have it worn all the time. Instead of having to wield the object to use it smile.gif But seems like a harder thing to code than a name change
Noola2006-11-27 22:27:15
Before I vote, what do you mean?

(I'm at work after a 4-day holiday, I'm having some kind of horrible stomach thing so I constantly feel like I might throw up, my boss keeps coming by hopping about and jabbering like a flea that's all tweaked out - My 'ease-of-confusion' meter is on a hair trigger and this poll has tripped it laugh.gif )
Karnagan2006-11-27 22:30:00
I like the idea of Forging Tongs.
Daganev2006-11-27 22:31:39
QUOTE(Ildaudid @ Nov 27 2006, 02:23 PM) 357580

Ok people who just want to be silly, post your reasons for wanting to keep it a hammer please? Right now it triggers you to weapon probe the hammer of forging instead of the hammer you ARE forging... thus requiring you to wp # which means you have to go through you ii list which could be extremely long and time consuming.
I say mallet, an anvil would be too wierd since it is placed in the forge...

edit- Hmm apron would be nice, since you can have it worn all the time. Instead of having to wield the object to use it smile.gif But seems like a harder thing to code than a name change

You don't have to wield the hammer for it to work tongue.gif

@noola:

There is currently a forging artifact called the "Hammer of Forging" However, there is also a weapon called a Hammer which you sometimes forge. Having the artifact be called a hammer while not being the same thing as the hammer weapon is really annoying.

Personally, I like all the suggestions I put into the poll, save keeping it the same.
Anarias2006-11-27 22:33:18
QUOTE(daganev @ Nov 27 2006, 03:31 PM) 357586

You don't have to wield the hammer for it to work tongue.gif

You also don't have to keep all your forged items in your inventory to make it spammy for yourself tongue.gif
Noola2006-11-27 22:34:38
Ah! You want to change the Hammer of Forging into something else then. Ok, I say billows. Because a regular fire might be alright for forging, but with billows you could get that super hot fire that burns out extra impurities thus allowing for the better stats or whatever you get from the forging artifact.

Ildaudid2006-11-27 22:35:27
No I meant that I have to go through all my potions etc on my ii list to get the most recent thing (which would normally be at the bottom) I am normally carrying up to 134 items

And are you serious you dont need to wield the hammer??? I always thought you had to
Daganev2006-11-27 22:40:44
QUOTE(Anarias @ Nov 27 2006, 02:33 PM) 357587

You also don't have to keep all your forged items in your inventory to make it spammy for yourself tongue.gif

We buy artifacts for convenience tongue.gif Actually the way weapons works is really annoying sometimes...

You can smelt while off balance, so you can accidentally smelt another item in your inventory instead of the one you just pulled from the forge. But you can't do any other forging things off balance. And items in your hand will sometimes get smelted before items in your inventory... even with gripping on.

But not being able to target hammer is the most annoying ... everything else I just consider a work hazard.

Yay for Firefox spell check!

QUOTE(Noola @ Nov 27 2006, 02:34 PM) 357589

Ah! You want to change the Hammer of Forging into something else then. Ok, I say billows. Because a regular fire might be alright for forging, but with billows you could get that super hot fire that burns out extra impurities thus allowing for the better stats or whatever you get from the forging artifact.

The Hammer of Forging makes it so that an item needs 100 swings, instead of 200 to create. But I like your thinking.

As for the apron, I had in mind a thick leather apron, and possibly a welding helmet but we need helmets for other things.

one thing I don't like about the mallet is you might have to change the forging line.

For that reason, I like Apron, Anvil, and Billows.

Tongs I like cause they are cool.

Mallet I like because its close to being a hammer but isn't a "hammer"

Anvil might have problems because of the tracker traps, and like someone said, the items goes into the forge.
Vix2006-11-27 22:46:58
Voted bellows for the same reason as Noola and since most of the others don't have much to do with the actual cutting forging time in half thing (e.g. how would an apron cause less swings?). And I just don't like mallet.
Daganev2006-11-27 22:52:11
QUOTE(Vix @ Nov 27 2006, 02:46 PM) 357600

(e.g. how would an apron cause less swings?).

You know the answer to that... MAGIC!

Or alternatively, the apron allows you more assurance and tolerance for the heat from the forge, helping you work faster *nod me*
Noola2006-11-27 22:57:03
QUOTE(daganev @ Nov 27 2006, 04:40 PM) 357593

The Hammer of Forging makes it so that an item needs 100 swings, instead of 200 to create. But I like your thinking.

Well, in that case, the increased heat from the billows allows the metal to become softer, making it more maleable and therefore requiring less swings to reach the desired shape.
Anarias2006-11-27 22:57:17
QUOTE(daganev @ Nov 27 2006, 03:40 PM) 357593

We buy artifacts for convenience tongue.gif

You mean like the artifact pack that Caedryn uses to store items as he forges them so they don't stay in his inventory? wink.gif Not to mention, an artifact forging hammer makes the actual forging go faster, it doesn't improve how well you organize your junk.

There is no hazard of smelting the wrong thing if you just take the necessary precautions.
Vix2006-11-27 22:59:21
I don't think even the magic excuse can justify that... Go bellows!

Hammer: We all know why we can't have this.

Mallet: Boring and just doesn't sound as good. I tend to associate mallets with rubber, and striking hot iron with rubber doesn't seem to sound too good.

Tongs: Doesn't really contribute to less swings.

Bellows: Hotter is better!

Anvil: Do you really want to carry an anvil around everywhere?

Apron: Cute, but doesn't help swings either. Maybe if it was pink. tongue.gif
Unknown2006-11-27 23:03:22
Seriously, there is NO WAY the admin is going to call them billows.

dots.gif

For the simple reason that the things you're thinking of are called bellows. ninja.gif

And I voted tongs. Though Bellows would be good too. dunno.gif

QUOTE(Vix @ Nov 27 2006, 10:59 PM) 357610

I don't think even the magic excuse can justify that... Go billows!

Hammer: We all know why we can't have this.

Mallet: Boring and just doesn't sound as good. I tend to associate mallets with rubber, and striking hot iron with rubber doesn't seem to sound too good.

Tongs: Doesn't really contribute to less swings.

Billows: Hotter is better!

Anvil: Do you really want to carry an anvil around everywhere?

Apron: Cute, but doesn't help swings either. Maybe if it was pink. tongue.gif

Tongs make for better manipulation of the item, so you can be more accurate and efficient in your swings. *sagenod*
Nementh2006-11-27 23:05:00
QUOTE(Noola @ Nov 27 2006, 10:34 PM) 357589

Ah! You want to change the Hammer of Forging into something else then. Ok, I say bellows. Because a regular fire might be alright for forging, but with bellows you could get that super hot fire that burns out extra impurities thus allowing for the better stats or whatever you get from the forging artifact.

The bellows you see in houses are not the bellows used in a forge. Forging bellows can be the size of a full sized sadan...

I think tongs work better, and for those of you who don't know why tongs would affect forging... how do you hold onto red hot metal?
Unknown2006-11-27 23:06:37
BELLOWS, damnit. nono.gif
Daganev2006-11-27 23:07:35
QUOTE(Ytraelux @ Nov 27 2006, 03:03 PM) 357618

Seriously, there is NO WAY the admin is going to call them billows.

I don't know WHAT you are talking about halo.gif

doh.gif

I still havn't voted, I just can't decide.
Noola2006-11-27 23:09:02
QUOTE(Nementh @ Nov 27 2006, 05:05 PM) 357620

The billows you see in houses are not the billows used in a forge. Forging billows can be the size of a full sized sadan...

Yeah... well... A moose is quite large too, but my Noola can carry around ten or more of them at a time while trudging through mountains. tongue.gif

Though I guess I do see your point... Tongs are a good second choice. But I like Bellows (and sorry for the spelling confusion there!)
Ildaudid2006-11-27 23:12:34
I'll wear the pink apron... as long as I can get it inscribed with.... I'm with Stupid ---->

biggrin.gif