Worldwide Shouts

by Unknown

Back to The Polling Place.

Unknown2006-11-17 21:40:51
So I finally snapped and thought I should make a poll. depressed.gif

edit: err ignore the "about" in the third poll option, typo.
Diamondais2006-11-17 21:43:13
Discretion, not so many. You do not have to shout after winning a game, village, or wildnodes event. dry.gif
Anarias2006-11-17 21:57:24
I'd be happy if there were only specific places you could shout from just like it is in Achaea. Contrary to prevailing opinion, the rest of the Basin isn't interested in what every random Celestian is doing. sad.gif

Edit - Oh yeah let me add this pre-emptively.

zomg u can turn shouts off n00b!!1
Kaalak2006-11-17 22:00:22
I do appreciate shouts if they are related to an event, the way Tully and Shirath use them. However I would like to see them used sparingly. A little goes a long way.
Ixion2006-11-17 22:01:02
Voted for option 5, bias noted.
Noola2006-11-17 22:01:06
Personally, I like shouts. I like it when people shout. The people shouting for the other people to stop shouting are the only ones I get annoyed with because the silliness of shouting to decry shouting just gets me.

Plus...there IS a lil thing called shoutsoff which gives the people who want utter shouting silence the utter shouting silence they crave.
Acrune2006-11-17 22:04:54
I like shouts. Deal, sheesh.
Xavius2006-11-17 22:14:16
Voted that it's fine, but I do agree that it could stand to have a raised endurance cost to limit it.

Substantially raised. ninja.gif
Aiakon2006-11-17 22:17:56
What about some kind of upper level limit for shouts? 80ish or something.
Acrune2006-11-17 22:18:28
QUOTE(Xavius @ Nov 17 2006, 05:14 PM) 354415

Voted that it's fine, but I do agree that it could stand to have a raised endurance cost to limit it.

Substantially raised. ninja.gif

Make it a percentage, and make the endurance cost proportionate with the size of the shout, if it isn't already. I just remember only being able to shout 3 times as a level 80+ merian, and it annoyed me that everyone could shout tons more. doh.gif
Unknown2006-11-17 22:26:03
I really like shouts. Especially as a rogue, it gives me a way to communicate with the Basin when necessary. I would like it noted that I think I've shouted maybe twice on my currently 32 year old character, and maybe 3-4 times on my 79 year old character, so I don't feel it necessary very often. But still, it's nice to know that the option is there.
Unknown2006-11-17 22:26:56
Its not that I completly hate shouts, I hate all the little comments that some less than clever people feel the need to have the whole playerbase hear (wont name names). Or people trying to be cute. JUST STOP IT. I shouldn't have to turn off shouts, I might miss something from an event. And thats the irony of it. During an event is exactly the time when you get the most bad shouts :/
Volgrant2006-11-17 23:19:17
Option 5 here, although I voted option 2 by accident because I didn't read down further before I voted. RPly it doesn't make sense for normal mortals to be able to shout. If I shout in Mag, how the hell is someone in Celest supposed to hear me? Besides, most people only use the shouts for poking/insulting each other anyway. It ruins the immersion a bit, and it feels OOC, even though whatever you're shouting may be IC.
Unknown2006-11-17 23:20:45
Shouts are definitely serving a purpose during this event, so they have good uses.
Unknown2006-11-17 23:53:22
I don't mind shouts most of the time, but there should be some kind of restriction. The huge endurance drain apparently isn't enough :/
Unknown2006-11-17 23:58:55
I said they were fine, but It would be nice that if you didn't have enough endurance to shout your lungs would explode and it would be an insta-kill. That would encourage people not to shout frivolously. I'm also pretty sure that shouts take up a set number of endurance; they should be scaled to be a pure percentage.

Boaster-Noob has died due to the explosion of his own lungs while trying to shout.
ninja.gif

Edit:Or if that's to severe maybe your lungs and chest collapse with a new affliction that needs two delayed regeneration applications to cure.
Aiakon2006-11-18 00:02:05
QUOTE(Wesmin @ Nov 17 2006, 11:58 PM) 354456

I said they were fine, but It would be nice that if you didn't have enough endurance to shout your lungs would explode and it would be an insta-kill. That would encourage people not to shout frivolously. I'm also pretty sure that shouts take up a set number of endurance; they should be scaled to be a pure percentage.

Boaster-Noob has died due to the explosion of his own lungs while trying to shout.
ninja.gif

Hey... I -really- like that.
Bhiele2006-11-18 03:00:05
Don't hate me, but I really don't like shouts. The main reason is, most people shout for ridiculous reasons. These are the kinds of shouts I mean...

1. The shout that threatens death, doom and revenge.
This shout in particular annoys me because if you're going to shout about it rather than just -do- it, it is really only machismo and makes you seem silly.
2. The echo shout that responds to threats of death, doom and revenge.
This only adds to the testosterone of the shouter A. It also forces others within hearing to be involved in your squabbles and or dramatics.
3. The shout that congratulates those recently engaged, birthdays, or just simply "spreads the love"
I don't know you. Why do I want to hear well wishes in your honour? Do you really need so much attention that everyone must know your personal affairs?
4. The shout that greets or says farewell to the world. Especially those aimed at Divine who happen to be visible. Do you really think that divine cares that you've shouted and made a public display of kissing up? Do you think everyone wants to hear your comings and goings?

Yes, I know I can turn shouts off. The reason why I don't is simply because I am a masochist. A nosey one at that, who is sometimes amused by the inane shouts of others. I wasn't trying to insult anyone or their character, so please don't be offended by my opinion.
Unknown2006-11-18 03:07:48
QUOTE(Bhiele @ Nov 17 2006, 08:00 PM) 354486

Don't hate me, but I really don't like shouts. The main reason is, most people shout for ridiculous reasons. These are the kinds of shouts I mean...

1. The shout that threatens death, doom and revenge.
This shout in particular annoys me because if you're going to shout about it rather than just -do- it, it is really only machismo and makes you seem silly.
2. The echo shout that responds to threats of death, doom and revenge.
This only adds to the testosterone of the shouter A. It also forces others within hearing to be involved in your squabbles and or dramatics.
3. The shout that congratulates those recently engaged, birthdays, or just simply "spreads the love"
I don't know you. Why do I want to hear well wishes in your honour? Do you really need so much attention that everyone must know your personal affairs?
4. The shout that greets or says farewell to the world. Especially those aimed at Divine who happen to be visible. Do you really think that divine cares that you've shouted and made a public display of kissing up? Do you think everyone wants to hear your comings and goings?
Yes, I know I can turn shouts off. The reason why I don't is simply because I am a masochist. A nosey one at that, who is sometimes amused by the inane shouts of others. I wasn't trying to insult anyone or their character, so please don't be offended by my opinion.

I love this person.
Unknown2006-11-18 03:12:03
Shouts are an excuse for people who crave attention and popularity.
Shouts are a crime against role playing.

Yells on the other hand are perfect as they can only be heard in the area.
Much more realistic.

SHOUTSOFF is not a real solution because people worry they may miss something actually important being said, but they have to put up with all the other crap just to hear it.

Too bad 90% of shouts are bull feces.