Selling descriptions!

by Unknown

Back to Last Chance Trading Post.

Unknown2005-07-30 04:15:30
Yes, I'm a greedy little bear, I am. I've advertised my describing services in the past and have, in fact, recieved a bit of business. Not a lot, but enough for me to continue.

So, here goes. You send me a PM, telling me what you need described. You can give a lot of specifics or, if you want me to have a more creative reign on things, make the request open ended. If it is for a character I'll need to know gender, race, guild, and anything special or important you want included. For designs I'll need to know what type of item it is, basically, and what commodities you intend for it to require.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I can also describe a Manse room for you. I have some experience as a builder and know all the ins and outs of describing a room. As always, you have as much input as you like.

Price is 2 credits per description, or 1 credit/room for a Manse. They tend to be 5-7 lines long, although they can run longer.

And now some samples, to show you I'm not a total fraud.

Here's one of a Blacktalon human I wrote up some time ago. I rather like how it ended up:

He is an ordinary human and has cold, hard features. Six feet tall with a solid build, Iranos' stature and upright posture lend to his commanding presence. His skin is slightly tanned and rough, his hair greying prematurely at the edges and receding slightly in the front, where it sweeps down over his head and hangs to his shoulders. His hair is oily and black, straight but limp; his face is clean shaven. Below his bushy eyebrows, Iranos' eyes are set deep into his skull, their blue and green colour speaking of great oceans and mountains, as though very worlds rest upon his face. His nose is short and pointed, his lips thin and pale, revealing when parted rows of slightly pointed teeth. His broad shoulders and strong limbs speak of stamina and athletic ability, although it is not the build of a fighter. Embroidered on the chest of his shirt is the image of a bare fist gripping a shattered earth between its fingers; whether the hand is holding the pieces together or is the force crushing them apart cannot be discerned.

This one was written for a fantasy MUSH called 'Chiaroscuro'. It is of a native priest who lived on the 'Weeping Stone Islands' and worshipped the earth gods. It's one of my favorites; when I originally wrote it a lot of the words were emphasised by colour, but even without the added flavour it's a nice bit of work:

This tall Weeping Stones man has dark skin, dark hair, and darker tattoos. He is just shy of six feet tall, with a lean, toned build that speaks of fitness and health. His limbs are long and strong, conditioned by hard work. His black hair is long and straight, sweeping back from his prominant widow's peak to the small of his back. Strings of dried kelp are woven throughout it, highlightning it in streaks of green. His eyes are blue-green, his nose long and narrow.

The tattoos that adorn his body are black, blending easily with his dark brown skin to create a natural look. The image of a large thakos palm stretches over his back, roots extending over his lower back and curling out slightly along his hips. The trunk stretches up, and the wide fronds cover his shoulderblades. On the back of either hand is a single blooming awapuhi flower, their stems extending down his wrists and then wrapping up his arms, the coils growing closer together as they near his shoulders until they terminate in loops just below his armpits.

The man's legs are covered by a pair of loose-fitting hemp pants that cling around his waist, held on by a length of rope that acts as a belt. His shirt is made of the same brown hemp, with a loose collar than leaves a bit of his chest bare and short sleeves that reveal most of his arm tattoos. Wrapped around either foot are simple sandles made from dried palm fronds.
Richter2005-07-30 04:40:39
Now, do all that without using his/her or the to start a sentance. happy.gif
Unknown2005-07-30 05:24:31
They can't all be perfect. Those are both 3-4 months old, anyway.
Ialie2005-07-30 06:28:07
Hmmm I usually do them for free!
Richter2005-07-30 07:54:37
I was giving you a hard time. Its hard to not start character descriptions without those words. Don't worry, I thought yours were pretty good.