Standardization

by Singollo

Back to Project L.

Singollo2005-03-09 19:50:47
I personally feel that we need to do this in a standard format to help with future and current development. Now, I understand this can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but it is all to necessary. The only way can insure that we do not interfere with someone else's prebuilt system is to make this project specificly standardized with variables, aliases and button names, as well as coding formats.

Here is a sketched idea of what I am talking about.

Everything should have an ID and every ID for a button, variable, alias, class, trigger, etc should start with LPZ (Lusternia's Project Z) followed by the actual name of the alias, variable, button name etc. Spaces should be replaced by underscores, and all names should be easily recognizable as to what their function would be.

Thus we would have:

#CLASS {LPZ}
#ALIAS LPZ_helloWorld {#say Hello world!}
#VARIABLE LPZ_con {12} {12}
#TRIGGER "LPZ_statGather" {Strength : (%d) Dexterity : (%d) Constitution : (%d)}
#CLASS 0

As far as coding format goes, we don't exactly know what we want at this point, but I think we should stick to coding format of 6.62 and later (If you think it should be moved any further, to say 7.05 speak up). I'd also like to hear some input as to whether we want to do regex or regular pattern matching with the triggers. I personally do not know the difference between the two forms of pattern detection and generally use regular pattern matching, but can easily go either way.

Graphics wise, hopefully we'll eventually get some good graphic artists onboard, but until then we'll probably have to borrow and edit people's material. I expect that since this will be distributed we will all try and obtain permission from the original artist before using and editting other people's art work for this project. I want to remind everyone that Zmud accepts Bitmap only images, so you'll need to convert those, and try to make them as small (file wise) as possible without compromising quality.

Any other suggestions?
Daganev2005-03-09 20:36:54
*peer* You don't like my artwork?

I don't know the differnce between 6.62 and 7.05 so I suggest we do 7.05 since its the current latest. Anyone who has 6.62 can upgrade to 7.05 at no charge. Only free versions I know of are 5.55 and 3.X And those are too buggy.
Eldanien2005-03-09 20:42:12
I definitely agree that variables and any other internal functions be prefixed so that the user won't accidentally stumble upon them while scripting on their own.

For pattern matching, I would recommend using regex.
Daganev2005-03-09 21:44:23
oh yeah... Regular expressions all the way. Its much more powerfull and usefull. But if Regular expressions are too complicated for a simple trigger, just use the normal zmud method.

I'll abuse my moderator privledges and code through the code section and change variable names and stuff to make them standardized. (worry not I'll be extra carefull on Typos)
celahir2005-03-16 09:21:43
Heh I have no idea how Regex works and so need enlightenment. dry.gif