Magnagoran Intrigue (?)

by Unknown

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Unknown2011-07-18 02:00:04
From the "Jigan; Change" thread

QUOTE (Calixa @ Jun 26 2011, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I'd say currently there is a lot of room in Magnagora to pull up the standard of RP again. Too much OOC "omg we are all such good friends happy.gif *snuggle* *cuddle*" shining through. It is a cloak and dagger society, and if you don't like that then someone gets a free backstab on you. Now I don't say we have to be continuously scheming against each other on how to make life a living hell for the other party. But it would be nice however to bring some of the plotting, intrigue, personal agendas and other good old Magnagoran values to the foreground. Perhaps it is the (perceived?) lack of Divine activity, but that doesn't mean the players can't go and try to do something about it.

Curious. Did Magnagora have an atmosphere of intrigue and constant oneupsmanship? Because nowadays the number of conflicting interests in the city seem very few. What can players to do to encourage the 'cloak & dagger' atmosphere anyway? Is a lack of players a problem? Is it the lack of identity for certain guilds, or the city in general?
Druken2011-07-18 02:09:02
I can't say much for Magnagora, but I do know that, despite a tight-knit group of people in Glomdoring, the various factions are pretty split between guilds and families--if you bother to notice it. Some people are blissfully unaware, and those people probably won't agree with me.

But it's there.

So my advice would be to start with who you hang out with and casually ask why Betty d'Murani looks so large today in that black robe, and where DO those Nihilists come off saying they're super duper when clearly the Cacophony are da bomb? Little by little, that stuff will catch on, and before you know it, you might have some nice elitist RP brewing.
Unknown2011-07-18 02:32:57
Amusing (and somewhat enticing), but is turning Magnagora into the most monstrous gaggle of rumormongers on the Basin really the way to go?
Druken2011-07-18 02:50:20
Have to start somewhere. This is the classic, age old "mechanics/Divine intervention versus player-born roleplay" debate.

My suggestion was to take it slow and steady until something cool happens, while you plod ahead with whatever route you consider plodding. If it's a stagnation within the playerbase (as far as roleplay is concerned), it's unlikely that a flashy event triggered by a God is going to make the waves you sound like you're looking for.
Unknown2011-07-18 02:50:59
QUOTE (Chestnut Bowl @ Jul 17 2011, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Curious. Did Magnagora have an atmosphere of intrigue and constant oneupsmanship? Because nowadays the number of conflicting interests in the city seem very few.

Um. Look harder.
Krackenor2011-07-18 02:55:20
QUOTE (Vendetta Morendo @ Jul 17 2011, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um. Look harder.

I agree. There are multiple competing factions around today between families and guilds, but they keep it to the background of society as is proper. We simply cannot have the rabble knowing of the games we nobles play.
Aison2011-07-18 03:15:40
Magnagoran RP has always had such huge potential. I think, back in the day, Sthai and (someone's name I can't remember ogod), were excellent roleplayers. They weren't fighters by any means, but they really added some extra flare to Mag RP, I thought.
Krackenor2011-07-18 03:26:23
Sthai creeps me the hell out. I miss her sad.gif
Talan2011-07-18 05:13:59
QUOTE (Druken)
but I do know that, despite a tight-knit group of people in Glomdoring, the various factions are pretty split between guilds and families--if you bother to notice it. Some people are blissfully unaware, and those people probably won't agree with me.

But it's there.

I wish I could argue this, but even I have noticed, paricularly on the order level. Poor Adian got a terribly long lecture about the importance of One Glomdoring during a guild test today, because of it. I wouldn't call it factions, as that implies competition/opposition, but there is certainly a less central feel lately. Pity.
Aison2011-07-18 05:34:16
Nariah was the other person I was thinking of.
Malarious2011-07-18 06:49:07
QUOTE (Chestnut Bowl @ Jul 17 2011, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From the "Jigan; Change" thread

Curious. Did Magnagora have an atmosphere of intrigue and constant oneupsmanship? Because nowadays the number of conflicting interests in the city seem very few. What can players to do to encourage the 'cloak & dagger' atmosphere anyway? Is a lack of players a problem? Is it the lack of identity for certain guilds, or the city in general?

Didnt read the rest of the thread so these may be repeats....

1) Fain was the only divine, you get promoted by backstabbing someone above you.

2) Originally families has ALOT of politics so you had whole wars of politics and minor war of words.

3) The idea of a warlord was a leader who was generally subtle but could enforce his will. Daevos is still the best one I have ever seen, he didnt stand firmly on much (though he would contribute) but by god if he said "screw that" people who said it was a great idea were slapped and the whole council could change their mind.

So yes, they did have oneupsmanship and intrigue.
Aramel2011-07-18 10:02:54
Magnagora still has some of that, it's just really non-overt; you have to go looking for it and/or have someone to pull you in.
Calixa2011-07-18 14:44:02
Funny that I said that, really. Took only getting a bit higher up to suddenly see this stuff is everywhere. There was also a lot of snuggling going on when I wrote that, which may have clouded my vision.
Lavinya2011-07-18 18:23:04
There was a lot of lovey dovey prancing going on at the time. The noble houses always have their old prejudices and plots, I find. Always plenty of gossip (and bitching). It's just not always visible on the surface, like Krackenor said, can't have the rabble knowing the intimate goings on of the nobles!
Revan2011-07-18 18:33:43
Joining a family (particularly a historical family) really amps up the RP. I, for one, enjoy playing the privileged, pompous and powerful nobleman! The fun part is that nowadays, people vastly underestimate Revan's ability to turn city politics his way behind the shadows. Such is the fun of scheming and backstabbing Magnagora~