Lucidians compared to Merians

by Ethelon

Back to Combat Guide.

Ethelon2004-11-03 20:51:36
I've recently noticed that nearly every Celestine I've seen is of the Merian race, yet when I sit down and go over the stats of each, to me, it would look that Lucidians would be better for PK and overall combat. With the large amount of magic used in PK here the lvl 2 magic resistance would help as a Lucidian and proper use of rebounding aura could help snubb the lvl 3 blunt damage negative. Merian on the other hand, though faster and doing more damage with their cosmicfire, have lvl 2 fire suseptibility, which means they take large amounts of damage from Nihilists (which are the more dangerous of fighters right now). For PK use, which would really be better though?

MERIAN STATISTICS:
Strength : 10 Dexterity : 11 Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 16 Charisma : 14 Size : 12

ADVANTAGES:
o Have a racial language, merian.
o Regain equilibrium faster, level 1.
o Regenerate health and mana while in water, level 2.
o Can automatically swim and tread water without taking damage.
o Can breathe underwater.
o Special: Upon gaining the Aquamancy specialization or Celestialism
specialization, a merian becomes an Imperial Merian with statistics
changing by -1 strength, -1 dexterity and +2 intelligence. Merian
warriors who choose the sacraments path, upon gaining the devotion
specialization become a Merian Lord with statistics changing by
-5 intelligence, +4 strength, +3 constitution, +2 dexterity and
+2 size.

DISADVANTAGES:
o Are susceptible to fire, level 2.
o Are susceptible to electricity, level 2.
o Gain experience more slowly, level 1.

LUCIDIAN STATISTICS:
Strength : 10 Dexterity : 10 Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 14 Charisma : 11 Size : 12

ADVANTAGES:
o Have a racial language, lucidian.
o Have a level 2 resistance to magic.
o Regenerate mana and health, level 2 (outdoor daytime only).

DISADVANTAGES:
o Are susceptible to blunt damage, level 3.
o Gain experience more slowly, level 1.
Unknown2004-11-03 21:04:39
Fire damage isn't really a big deal, even as a Mugwump. Sip a vial of frost, and wear a fireproof coat. Tada
Geb2004-11-03 22:44:33
Is it possible to wear a coat along with a great robe? Or, is it possible to have a great robe given fire protection after it has already been made?
Dumihru2004-11-03 23:10:27
This is mostly conjecture, based on whatever I've learned since open beta started. I'm not Transcendent in any guild skills yet either (which could make a difference, especially for mugwumps):

If I were to pick a Celestine race purely for combat, I'd want to try either a Mugwump or an Aslaran (with Tarot).

Offensively -- With a high Magic skill, either should be able to do decent cosmicfire damage. A mugwump would make up for this by being able to cosmicfire/radiance much more quickly (in addition to all other equilibrium-based skills). An aslaran should be hellishly fast with Tarot. Besides any advantages, that would be just plain fun. And while Tarot does no (appreciable) damage, being able to deliver afflictions/etc. that quickly would probably more than make up for the lower cosmicfire damage.

Defensively -- It's kind of hard to tell, since we're usually fighting against large teams of people with far higher levels on average blink.gif But an aslaran ought to (theoretically) be able to disable an opponent or two well enough to avoid some damage. If that doesn't make up for the sipping disadvantage, they can run around, and use Puella. If you're outnumbered, you're not going to stay in the same room for long anyway.

Personally, I chose a Merian because I liked how the race changes upon gaining the guild specialization. This is my first character since open beta started, and that was something that jumped out at me during character creation because there is nothing like that in Achaea.

Having played one for a while, I also like how merians are so well suited for a water environment that being underwater is like being home. This allows for some tactics that involve using water to your advantage. Like drowning groups of Magnagorans when outnumbered biggrin.gif

Don't pick a Merian for the level 2 water regeneration though. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

There are a couple of Lucidian and Dracnari Celestines, but I don't think they fight very often.
Unknown2004-11-03 23:53:09
QUOTE (geb @ Nov 3 2004, 03:44 PM)
Is it possible to wear a coat along with a great robe? Or, is it possible to have a great robe given fire protection after it has already been made?

Yes to both questions, although I'm not 100% sure on the first. I know you can wear cloaks over greatrobes though (and cloaks can be proofed).
Nika2004-11-04 00:15:08
QUOTE (Dumihru @ Nov 4 2004, 07:10 AM)
But an aslaran ought to (theoretically) be able to disable an opponent or two well enough to avoid some damage.  If that doesn't make up for the sipping disadvantage, they can run around, and use Puella.  If you're outnumbered, you're not going to stay in the same room for long anyway.

I'm an aslaran, and yeah, I've been able to enfeeble/diminish/cosmicfire a couple of people in group situations, and then take them out before they've really noticed me doing it... which is nice. The constitution thing does kind of suck, but having played a Rajamala and a Lamira, I'm used to it by now. huh.gif
Gwynn2004-11-04 05:13:15
In the Merian vs Lucidian race, they're both good choices. It depends on what you want to do.

Merian is basically going to have 18 intelligence. That means alot of mana, and a lot of damage.

Lucidian has 3 more con, making it a little easier to stay alive.

In the end it just depends on your style as a player. there isn't really a clear "Best". Though there is certainly a best strategy for your race-class
Mordrin2004-11-04 12:43:36
Go with Dracnari over Lucidian. Virtually every magical attack deals fire damage as do a lot of the mobs on the Astral plane. You also get a respectable 14 intelligence and a very nice 15 constitution to counter the sipping penalty.
Unknown2004-11-04 17:20:32
well, it depends on yoru style. Obviously Aslans are fast as hell, but their kinda.feeble when it comes to damage consumption. On the other hand tae'dae are tanks, but are evry slow. and every other race is just a sligth modification of these two,with a few tweaks. Just pick what race you like best, and what guild you like best, and go with it, is all I can say.
Roul2004-11-04 17:23:53
It is all about the Krokani. Be a Krokani mage. That's all I'm saying.
Thorgal2004-11-04 17:33:07
Heh, Krokani must be about the least attractive race of Lusternia, both in looks and in features/stats.
Unknown2004-11-04 18:14:28
why is that?
Unknown2004-11-04 19:13:44
I could go for a chick with one eye :sarcasm: laugh.gif
Unknown2004-11-04 19:16:04
then you couldnt give her an angry pirate........
Typhus2004-11-09 18:43:19
Wow.. Heh. I think those giants would be a big help.
Erion2004-12-10 02:37:22
Gods, wouldn't it suck to be a pirate Krokani? I mean, seriously now. It would be like, stabbing out a cyclop's eye.

Duh.
Unknown2004-12-10 02:43:08
"They calls me Long John Polyphemus, boyo."
Unknown2004-12-10 02:47:42
Merian= Best for Aquamancers, Celestines, and Paladins

Viscanti= Best for Nihilist, Geomancers and Ur'guard

Elf= Best for Hartstone, Moondancers and Serenguard.

Every other race comes second *nods*
Unknown2004-12-10 03:49:23
Imperial Merians have 1 less strength than a Lucidian (Which really dosen't matter), equal dex, 3 less constitution, 4 more int, and 3 more charisma. So basically, Imperial Merian is better in every way, unless you absolutely need a handful of extra hitpoints. Throw in the fact that Lucidians have a level 3 blunt weakness, and now that extra hp dosen't even matter when facing bonecrushers.

I actually consider Lucidian to be, purely based on statistics, the worst race in Lusternia. Terrible warriors, and subpar mages. Every other race is decent at at least one thing. Only thing they would excel at in combat is fighting other magic users, due to their magic resist.

But what do I know?
Shiri2004-12-10 11:24:51
Well, I don't know about how good fighters they are, but Guido, "just magic resistance" covers about 2/3rds of the world. Probably more, seeing as how Guardians/Wiccans are so popular and Paladins etc. are so rare.