The Combat Masters

by Gwynn

Back to Combat Guide.

Gwynn2004-10-30 08:46:51
In the early days we've seen alot of combat, and alot more combat, and certain people are starting to emerge as feared and respected people you don't want to engage in Combat.

We're all still new here, and I venture to guess that probably less than 1 in 10 people here have anything remotely resembling a decent system yet, so the question is, will the Masters of today be the Masters of tommorow?

Who do you all think will last the duration, when things become normal?
Unknown2004-10-30 12:25:48
What gets me is the people who ask for combat spars simply because they know that only about 10 people have a clue how to cure anything and they have a very good chance of killing someone with one or two afflictions and then a little damage. Wait until we all start collecting trigger messages and really get things going! Your inflated combat rating won't do you any good then, Visaeris. laugh.gif
Ethelon2004-10-30 14:13:23
I will have to say, Visaeris's rating is not inflated. I have one of the most developed systems in the realm currently and I still have trouble fighting him one-on-one. Visaeris knows what he is doing and will be one of the top fighters for a long time to come. I feel I will also be near the top for feared fighters in hte realms. Remember, not everything in combat is based on your systems, it comes down to how you use your skills. What tactics you come up with.

Something I REALLY hate hearing, especially on the Commune channel is how one little person will brag about offing Visaeris, or some other well-known fighter and yet it was with the help of guards, totems, 10 other people in the group. Infact, I recall one person who bragged about killing Visaeris 4 times yet when I asked if he would duel Visaeris alone to end the raids, he refused, because he knew he couldn't do it unless he had the odds in his favour.
Ioryk2004-10-30 15:25:35
Knowledge of skills is more useful when you can rely on a *good* system. Developing one for this realm will I think be very difficult, purely due to the range of skills you will have to face to understand how best to react. Those who have had a head start are enjoying things at the moment but the constant PvP combat will see new champions emerging. I can see the likes if Visaeris being the benchmark for a very long time though.
Unknown2004-10-30 16:01:35
Heh. I've actually got a full list of triggers and such, but I've yet to start writing any sort of curing or even colouring system. It's all manual at the moment.

I keep meaning to get around to doing it but eh.. Lazy biggrin.gif
Unknown2004-10-30 17:05:35
Well, When I was in Imperian, I joined late mind you. All I heard of was everyone, and I mean everyone, talking about Brutal Juganothion Gazali, The Arm of Death. I watched him fight... once.
I was STUNNED...
I heard alot of negative things about him (much as I seem to about Visaeris), but his combat skills were undeniable in my opinion.
I havn't seen anyone fight in Lusternia yet, but from the way people complain about Visaeris, he must - then also have lots of combat skills.
But this is just my observation, but I reverred Juga in Imperian on my Noctu character, simply because I had seen him take down scores of people, or almost single handedly just annihilate a "warparty".
I want to know if Visaeris, and people like him, will gain that kind of "OMG" status...
I think Visaeris, from the way people complain about his skills, will be ontop for sometime to come.
And I have never even seen this guy in the realms, or a fight for that matter... shows how rumors are spreading through the ranks of the novices and newcomers already.
Unknown2004-10-30 17:11:57
QUOTE (CitanLeFae @ Oct 30 2004, 10:05 AM)
Well, When I was in Imperian, I joined late mind you. All I heard of was everyone, and I mean everyone, talking about Brutal Juganothion Gazali, The Arm of Death. I watched him fight... once.
  I was STUNNED...
I heard alot of negative things about him (much as I seem to about Visaeris), but his combat skills were undeniable in my opinion.
  I havn't seen anyone fight in Lusternia yet, but from the way people complain about Visaeris, he must - then also have lots of combat skills.
  But this is just my observation, but I reverred Juga in Imperian on my Noctu character, simply because I had seen him take down scores of people, or almost single handedly just annihilate a "warparty".
  I want to know if Visaeris, and people like him, will gain that kind of "OMG" status...
  I think Visaeris, from the way people complain about his skills, will be ontop for sometime to come.
  And I have never even seen this guy in the realms, or a fight for that matter... shows how rumors are spreading through the ranks of the novices and newcomers already.

:ph34r: ninja.gif :ph34r: ninja.gif
Unknown2004-10-30 17:37:28
It's all true, rumors are spreading like wildfire through us newbies coming to Lusternia (I've been here only I think..4 days irl, only just getting out of novicehood a very short time ago). That name if nothing else, even if Visaeris becomes like some old crotchity guy who sits around telling old war stories or something, he has been immortalized as the name all newbies want to know, or atleast know who he is, or why everyone wont stop complaining about him.
I congratulate Visaeris on being the most complained about (thus having skills at wasting people in large numbers I would think)and person this newbie thinks has some real combat skills and potential to be great (don't know if he is great or not, can't find any information on him from others, too afraid to approach him ingame to talk to him).
And whats with the faces? I don't understand...
Indigo2004-10-30 18:12:04
It's true. Visaeris is the bogeyman of the MUD right now, and that's not going to change for a long time.

Now would you please stop killing our beloved villagers? Please? wink.gif
Kaervas2004-10-30 19:29:00
Just wait till people actually start to get systems laugh.gif
Thorgal2004-10-30 19:38:31
Fun thing about Lusternia, is the many afflictions and states that aren't instantly curable, so even if your system is perfect, you'll still die to a skilled fighter. If you don't stop him, even the perfect system won't save ya.
Kaervas2004-10-30 19:53:58
Some afflictions not being cured instantly doesn't really affect much. My point is that most of the "great" fighters are only there because hardly anyone has either the cures or a system yet.
Gaetele2004-10-30 20:14:12
Heh. I can envision it now. 70 or so Lusternian years from now.

(Newbie) ****: Who's this Visaeris fellow I keep hearing about?
(Newbie) ????: LOLZ U DONT NO WHO VISAERIS IS U NOOB!!!!1twelveshift+one
(Newbie) Visaeris: Darn you youngsters, just lemme sleep!
Gwynn2004-10-31 06:05:43
There are a good deal more afflictions here which cannot easily be triggered, or cannot be triggered at all. The good natural manual curers (Like Visaeris) are going to have a huge advantage, even when the systems arrive.

Look at me, I'm ranking 4th in the Combat Rankings and I can't remember what skill I use to attack most of the time...In fact the only reason I won those combat spars was due to bugs (accidental, consequently, I didn't even know about them until after when Nikua complained about not being able to rightly smoosh me).
aventi2004-10-31 07:28:52
I like all the no message affs and the new and interesting ways to break, paralyse, crush and maim because it gives a level of depth. I don't like the fact that I have to multiline trigger a lot for breaks and such but I can live with that. Thank the lord for diagnose tho. blink.gif
Unknown2004-10-31 13:29:38
i got booted during the first spar! the second one it wouldnt let me stand up with impatience.....so i was just sitting there watching ya smooosh me ninja.gif
Zolas2004-10-31 21:17:36
The closed beta testers are the good fighters at this point, for obvious reasons.

Right now I'm a terrible fighter in Lusternia, but I've hardly given it much thought.

I'm an all-manual combatant, as well, but have never been close to 'legendary'. Best I had was probably being ranked 84 in the combat rankings of Imperian.
Mordrin2004-10-31 21:25:56
It's really too early to tell. Anyone can beat up cureless newbies.
Daevos2004-10-31 23:25:02
agreed, and hopefully warriors will be fixed before people learn how to cure wounds(our only way of killing people right now).
Rakor2004-11-01 02:47:17
QUOTE (Ethelon @ Oct 30 2004, 10:13 AM)
I have one of the most developed systems in the realm currently

he couldn't do it unless he had the odds in his favour.

Strange. With one of the most developed systems in the realm you would think that you wouldn't have to summon me into your totem when Dumihru was fighting me (she had me to 254 health) then shield.

Edit: Oh, I see. You're doing it to avoid the avenger. Very championlike behavior, there.