Casual playstyle and ambitious roleplay

by Calixa

Back to Chronicles of the Basin.

Calixa2011-01-19 11:45:24
I considering myself a casual player, despite reading the forums every day to keep up I am ingame on average once or twice a week, during which I am mostly crawling closer to the next level (15% away from 85, whoo). There is probably where the problem begins: Not much time spent just sitting by the Megalith or whatever people use to gather at and socialize.

Now, on top of that, being in Fain's order, pledging to Baalphegar, and generally being nudged in the direction, my character would probably fit well into some kind of leadership position. Except I do not have the time to dedicate to that (playing two other MMO's, being the equivalent of a GM in one, and oh yes there is real life too).

The issue reaches a peak though when another character will ask me "Why are you still so low in rank?" or "How have you kept yourself busy?". I've written it off in the past due to soul issues, but I've always feel I then might as well totally step out of character since it feels like a lame IC way of saying I was not around >_<

I've noticed I shy away from playing because I worry this might actually come up again, and that is pretty silly. But still I wonder, how I can I portray an ambitious character without having much time at all to play? How do I "justify" these absences? I think I could do something with being busy behind the scenes and out of sight (yay Baalphegar) but how can I make it not as cliche and repetitive as "my soul was in deep slumber"? Other ideas welcome too.

Lastly, what would be some ambitions -- other than someday attain Titan and Demi -- I could aim for that do not require being ingame every day for several hours? Things that could help my guild preferred, as the Nihilists could do with some love (although the current Trinity seems to be right on the ball again).
Sylandra2011-01-19 14:47:39
You don't want a leadership position, believe me. smile.gif

Roleplay alone is great. You can design fancy things, write books or plays, be social and make friends, do more Order stuff, learn some combat, really the list is kind of endless. You in a family? Family RP can be fantastic.

As for guild stuff, talk to your GA or GM about where your guild could especially use some love. Then run with it.
Unknown2011-01-19 15:25:37
Leadership positions are interesting, but from your description of things, proooobably not something that makes sense for you. While people are generally understanding of play times, there's an unspoken (or sometimes loudly spoken) expectation that you'll be around RIGHT NOW. Because of the public nature of the position, you're really exposed to political fire in contentious situations, which is something that will be abused by others seeking position (naturally, though some do it in a far more classy (and in my opinion, effective, manner than others).

However, there are many ways to be ambitious. You don't need to have an explicit position to have power or clout. In fact, there are some really compelling arguments to avoid positions- if you aren't in a position, you're somewhat more protected from criticism and other "bad" kind of attentions. You can generally pick the context and timing of things you DO get involved in, rather than having them thrust upon you. You can't lose an election.

Certainly, you won't have the kind of direct, brute power that comes with a position, but your character is pledged to Baalphegar, right? He's an ambitious power player, but he doesn't run Nil, after all. He sits invisible in that web thing of his, waiting for his strings to vibrate, letting him know when it is time to move. ICly, if someone asks you about it, ask yourself what Baalphegar would say (make a little bracelet reading WWBS maybe tongue.gif). Give a deceitfully humble answer, or an enigmatic one, or one that makes the person asking either sorry they asked you, or worse, makes them REALLY wonder what you're REALLY REALLY up to, because you're obviously lying to their face. (Even though you're being perfectly honest, naturally.)

Anyway, you can have fun with the ambition thing, you just have to have it on your terms, and not have others define what your ambition is.
Unknown2011-01-19 15:38:49
I think of leadership positions as being half an admin - at that point you're almost as much a volunteer to support the infrastructure of the game as you are a player, and it requires a higher time investment.

You could still aspire to be guild security/secretary, or save up and purchase your own clan to be a leader of and do diabolical cultish things. >:D
Kiradawea2011-01-19 15:41:44
Ambitions to aim for? How about cultural recognition. Create plays, write books and all that stuff. You can do most of your work "off-line".
Sylandra2011-01-19 19:02:30
QUOTE (Kiradawea @ Jan 19 2011, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ambitions to aim for? How about cultural recognition. Create plays, write books and all that stuff. You can do most of your work "off-line".

It is my personal opinion Magnagora is one of the best organizations to foster awesome play/book/culture ideas. whistling.gif
Calixa2011-01-19 19:21:05
@Sylandra: Some good ideas. Though I've found socializing (in character) difficult thus far when not playing that frequently. Same with Order stuff, the help files are vague at best, and the people I knew to go to for answers are kinda missing right now >_>

@Rainydays: I've been lurking from the sidelines, and I noticed that when people go missing for just a week there are cries of outrage already. Which makes sense if you have one person in a position and being the only one knowing how to run it, although that then points at a whole other issue, the lack of backup plan. But who I am to point that out, eh? Well, I probably could, even have the experience to back it up, but I'm not to keep to go step on the toes of veterans. One of the cons of player-run administration, it is a volunteer job.

Also seen a fair few GA / GM changes during this half year, which comes with purges of sec and undersec positions, and while I assume they were done for good reason, some of those people were recently very active and thus got accepted by the previous Trinity. Maybe there is more behind the scenes I just don't know about, wouldn't surprise me, but I'd hate to accept a position, then find myself unable to log for a week or two and boom, position gone again. I'm someone who rather says no from the start and save everyone some trouble.

Lastly, good point about the fact I can get away with an utter lie as my character, or be all mysterious about it. Pretty obvious now I think about it. I've already got ideas.

@Deschain: I've been thinking of becoming more involved into aetherhunting, partly to save myself a painful long road to Demi, and partly because there does seem to be a demand for good pilots and empaths. Getting the time to learn the whole thing though is the tricky bit, the people who can teach just have to happen to be online when I am. I'm also not sure if it is just me, or the fact this game doesn't have the population other mmo's do. or the fear for tactical advantage obtained by "the enemy", but I've found the more endgame style information to be really lacking in availability. The only guides I've seen thus far are newbie guides. Yes, that is a hint to you active endgamers who might be bored and looking for something to do, you can thank me later tongue.gif

@Kiradawea: Good one, I have an idea for one book scribbled down, and might write out my character backstory for the bardics. Need to go read the library another five times probably though, I am terrible with history, and that goes for fictional as well. I am happy when I can recall the vague details of what Project Eternity was tongue.gif

Thanks for the inspiring answers, more still welcome though.
Arel2011-01-22 06:08:14
QUOTE (Calixa @ Jan 19 2011, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lastly, what would be some ambitions -- other than someday attain Titan and Demi -- I could aim for that do not require being ingame every day for several hours? Things that could help my guild preferred, as the Nihilists could do with some love (although the current Trinity seems to be right on the ball again).

When someone asks why you're not around, just say you have been around and appear puzzled as to why they didn't notice you. smile.gif Baalphegar is invisible, you can be too (and not be logged in to do it!).

If you're not big into the social aspect, find something to stir up. Pretend a beggar talked to you about something, and see if you can get other players in on it too. Make up some cryptic comment and mention it to someone, so they think you are up to something secret on behalf of Fain. Hell, just think of a situation that would make you smile and do it!
Unknown2011-01-22 06:15:18
I'll point out as Mystagogue for life, don't be afraid to go for Seditionist or Iconoclast. Give the trinity the heads up that your play style involves you not showing up now and then and no one is going to bat an eye as long as you do help out and do neat stuff when you can. Hell, go for Prophet of Baalphegar. Make Sotsepmet squirm in his seat. Being seen 24/7 is not as important as being seen being busy when you are around.
Calixa2011-01-22 13:10:38
I've already been pestering Sotsepmet about when the advancement tasks are going to be ready, and maybe lend a hand if it were needed, but it seems the Trinity just has to approve stuff. Which was some days ago now, hrm. May check up on that again. And see if there is other stuff that needs doing.

And yeah, I realize with Baalphegar I got a lot of options available to "hide" the offline time and keep things coherent. smile.gif
Aicuthi2011-01-25 04:07:17
I don't have much time to play myself, so I understand where you're coming from. I'm probably outranked by people I helped out of the Portal by now.

The best way to deal with it is to not care. Lusternia isn't a competition, it's meant to be fun and enjoyable. As long as you enjoy your time playing it won't matter how much you get done or how important your actions are. smile.gif
Unknown2011-01-26 06:02:50
QUOTE (Aicuthi @ Jan 25 2011, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have much time to play myself, so I understand where you're coming from. I'm probably outranked by people I helped out of the Portal by now.

The best way to deal with it is to not care. Lusternia isn't a competition, it's meant to be fun and enjoyable. As long as you enjoy your time playing it won't matter how much you get done or how important your actions are. smile.gif

Amen.

Also, for roleplaying... honestly, Aeral doesn't have a lot of RP. Sometimes I wish that there was a little more and a definite OOC/IC barrier (though I've gotten freakishly strict about that now) and so she just has a few quirks that I keep in mind (she hates chickens, thinks they're worse than the taint, her favourite gemstone is sapphire, she loves weed cookies, etc). So sometimes it's good to just have a few little things like that to shape your RP around.
Turnus2011-02-03 03:52:40
QUOTE (Calixa @ Jan 19 2011, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't bothered to read other people's responses, so if they already said something similar - whatever.

Sounds like the best thing you can do is focus on the whole Nihilist/Fainite/cultist rp. Come up with cool and twisted rituals to perform. Try and convert people. Tell everybody about how great the taint is. If people knock on your xp rankings, your ambitious character just feels hunting is beneath them and that their mind is better put to other uses. Basically, it sounds like you should concentrate on the roleplay of your character and doing various cultured things and they shouldn't even act concerned about hunting strength.

Also, its much more fun to try and take a role as a leader's adviser (and maybe try to get them to do what you want) rather than having the role yourself and having to deal with all the stupid minor stuff that comes with it.

Edit: As somebody who often goes long periods without playing, it can be fun to come up with some elaborate story for what you're doing when you're gone.
Everiine2011-02-03 04:01:36
QUOTE (Turnus @ Feb 2 2011, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, its much more fun to try and take a role as a leader's adviser (and maybe try to get them to do what you want) rather than having the role yourself and having to deal with all the stupid minor stuff that comes with it.

So THAT'S why you always hang around. I'm on to you!
Unknown2011-02-03 04:12:51
QUOTE (Turnus @ Feb 2 2011, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's so true.
Turnus2011-02-03 04:37:51
QUOTE (Everiine @ Feb 2 2011, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So THAT'S why you always hang around. I'm on to you!

Busted!