If an icicle crackles in a forest with no-one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

by Raeri

Back to Event Scrolls.

Raeri2011-12-31 11:12:53
I thought this was kind of cute and thought I'd share, especially as she's not usually very talkative! <3

(Cleaned it up a bit, but may have missed some stuff D:)

EDIT: And on another note, happy new year!

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart hums a happy tune.

You perk your ears up as an errant topic catches your interest.

The Moonhart Mother Tree.
Sprays of chervil cover the forest floor. A sedge of galingale is firmly planted in the forest floor. Lovely coltsfoot carpets the forest floor. A marjoram bush flourishes here, spreading its delicate scent. Singing a hauntingly beautiful melody, Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart, stands here. Towering high above is the Moonhart Mother Tree, stretching her enormous branches heavenwards. There are 3 fierce timberwolves here. Hovering over a raised dais are two silver arrows, their long shafts crossed with the points aimed skywards. A striped badger is here, licking its paws. There are 3 armoured badgers here. There are 4 armoured owls here. Watching you warily, a silver-furred vixen sniffs the air. There are 12 centaur hunters here. There are 14 kephera nature warders here. A moon maiden floats here, her form swathed in glowing cloth. An elfen guard strolls here, alert and vigilant. In the shape of an open palm, a metallic sigil lies here. There are 2 small screech owls here. Its petals glistening with ice, a delicate snoefaasia orchid grows here from a clump of snow. A platinum eye sigil is here. A wooden spike is planted here, proudly displaying the shrunken head of Nihta. Reaching up as high as the eye can see looms the awesome presence of a living totem. There are 8 master's paint palettes here. A bog myrtle leaf lies on the ground. An illustrated canvas hangs in the air here, supported by silvery ribbons. Serenguard Marpessa Starleaf is here. She wields alongsword of the stag and moon in each hand. Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir is here.
You see exits leading north, south, and through a vined stairway.

You chirp happily at Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart.
Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart frowns at you.

Maythus tilts his head curiously.

You begin to snuffle softly.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart chirps happily at you.

You perk your ears up as an errant topic catches your interest.

You cheer wildly!

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart exclaims, "Hello, Raeri!"

You say, "Hello, Miakoda!"

"Ummmm," Maythus says uncertainly.

Maythus blinks.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart says, "And how are you today? I hope the strange weather and those frosty demons have not hampered your spirits."

"Uhh..." stalls Maythus.

You say, "On the contrary, I'm hopeful that the change in weather means we might be closer to working out how to fix the sky properly!"

Maythus chews on his lip, deep in thought.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart glances curiously at Maythus. "Is something wrong?" she asks sweetly. She turns to respond to Raeri, nodding in agreement. "Yes, those are good hopes!" she exclaims.

You sniff an icy snoefaasia orchid, trying to decipher just what that smell emanating from it is.

You say, "Besides, I think these guys grow better when it's nippy outside."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart smiles softly.

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "No no, just it has been a bit quiet. Everybody busy like bees, not having time to say hello."

Maythus shrugs helplessly.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart exclaims, "Ah- yes. That is unfortunate. But, hello to you, Maythus!"

Maythus chuckles long and heartily.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart says, "I am sure everyone is "busy as bees" as you put it - for a hopeful remedy to the skies."

Deep in thought, Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart leans her cheek on her hand.

You say, "We should compose a busy working song to sing while we're working like busy bees."

You nod your head sagely.

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "And to you too Miakoda. And indeed. Me, I don't worry too often about it. It's another change to prime, and yet becomes something one is used to."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart says to you, "Yes, a song! One which to lift our spirits."

You say to Maythus, "On the bright side, the strange weather on Prime has meant we can call forth blizzards on the other Planes."

An armoured owl soars into the sky and flies around in a few circles.

You say, "And more snowball fights is always fun."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart begins to hum a soft tune, the sound reminiscent of the buzzing of bees.

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "I don't include myself in combat much anymore."

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "Unless you don't mean combat."

You say, "Well, I do make a mean snowball."

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "I stopped helping defend because a few, behind my back degraded me. Sure they were partially right. But I didn't really care. I tried becoming a teacher. Never happened."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart ceases her humming and tilts her head toward Raeri. "Oh?" she murmurs. "Blizzards are lovely times. When the forest is cool, frozen. Like a memory encased in ice."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart exclaims to Maythus, "Does one need to teacher in a formal capacity? Things can be taught, knowledge can be passed down without official decrees. I think you would make a fine teacher, Maythus!"

You say, "That's a nice way to put it. We are the Wintry Forest, after all."

Maythus looks about himself, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart tilts her head to one side. "I have heard rumours of people calling us this; a Winter Court?" Miakoda utters a short "hrm" - as if she were thinking. "It is an interesting accolade."

You say, "Well, it is quite pretty when it snows."

Maythus nods his head emphatically.

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "But some feel the bite of winter despite beauty."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart says, "Oh, yes. When Mother Moon's light shines upon the white powder. Glistening."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart says, "Yes, that is true. But then all of nature, all of creation has that polarity. Of beauty, of loveliness contrasted with biterness, darkness."

Maythus nods his head at Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart.
Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart creases her brow in a frown.

Maythus ponders for a moment and says "Hrm..."

You have emoted: Raeri hums in a cheerful buzzing fashion.

You have emoted: Raeri turns and tilts his head quizzically at Miakoda, quietly seeking approval.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart grins mischievously at you.

Maythus chuckles long and heartily.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart exclaims, "Now, make up a tune that mimics the crackling of icicles!"

You chew on your lip thoughtfully.

Maythus snickers softly to himself.

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "Im gonna rest. I'll awake soon again."

You wave goodbye at Maythus.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart says, "Take care, Maythus."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart offers Maythus a warm smile.

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "You as well, Miakoda."

Maythus flashes Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart a joyous smile.
Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart creases her brow in a frown.

Maythus bows respectfully to you.

You say, "How about...." He stomps experimentally on the ground, twigs and dried leaves crackling in a quiet cacophony underfoot."

Progeny of Bollikin, Maythus Dlis Laidir says, "Farewell to you both. Heh. That sounds close."

Maythus grows still and his lips begin to move silently.

Maythus is enveloped in translucent fire for a moment and is gone, his soul safe until he returns to Lusternia.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart ponders for a moment and says "Hrm..."

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart states, critically, "That is almost it, I think. But, not enough sharpness, high-notes!" Gently, Miakoda raps a finger against her cheek, thinking of how to produce the appropriate sound.

You ponder the situation.

You crush the cluster of gems into a fine powder and fashion a set of 6 fine glasses.

You empty out Jeremiah Gryphta's Olde Tyme Healing Tonic on top of a glass kitten, covering her in water.
Raeri rubs the kitten thoughtfully, producing a high pitched 'eeeeee'.

You drop a glass kitten.
A glass kitten lands lightly on the ground, staring suspiciously at you with emerald eyes.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart gives a trillingly melodic laugh.

You say, "Well, I got the pitch, but not quite the crackling."

You scratch your head looking for an idea.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart says, "I think that your kitten would not approve of any 'crackling'"

You say, "I think you may be right."

A wry smile spreads across your face.

A glass kitten shifts her eyes over you with a look of suspicion.

You look about furtively, trying your best not to look suspicious.

You whisper soothing words to a glass kitten.
A glass kitten turns her back on you and pointedly ignores you.

A glass kitten lets loose a high-pitched 'meow.'

p glass
Small and sturdy, this shotglass is functional and able to take a beating.
It has 4 months of usefulness left.
It weighs 6 ounce(s).

You drop a shot glass.

With your mighty index finger extended, you poke a glass kitten.
A glass kitten turns her back on you and pointedly ignores you.

With your mighty index finger extended, you poke a shot glass.

Utterly entranced, Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart emits a long "Ooooh."

Raeri clinks the shot glasses together, producing a sequential clinking, keeping well away from the now very suspicious kitten.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart exclaims, "Yes, yes. But more of a 'shatter-y' sound!"

Raeri bounces slightly, then stomps down hard on a poor helpless shot glass, shattering it in an explosion of a myriad sliver-like shards which miraculously leave the audience unscathed!

A glass kitten exclaims, "Meow!"

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart claps her hands together merrily.

Miakoda, Maiden of the Moonhart exclaims, "You captured the sound perfectly!"

You flash the victory sign.